General Maintenance & Repairs Leaks | Squeaks | Clunks | Rattles | Grinds

So I went to get my oil changed...

Search this Thread

Old 04-18-2011, 07:55 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default So I went to get my oil changed...

I pulled into a local Valvoline today and see these barrels sitting outside that say "NextGen 5W30" After talking to the guy at Valvoline about it, he said its recycled oil but apparently Valvoline's Race team uses it and he mentioned Roush too. I can't see how they would let people use something that would harm their motor and its still backed by their 125k guarantee but its the same price as the reg oil where I'm at and he said its MORE other places...That really confused me but w/e. ANYWAY, wondering if someone can find any more info on this stuff or experiences. I didn't get a 300hp v8 to be green and who would buy used oil for the same price as new. I got the new oil, suck it mother earth
Old 04-18-2011, 08:16 PM
TECH Apprentice

Lol that's funny, I'd just buy the new **** to
Old 04-18-2011, 09:22 PM
Banned

i change my oil every 3500 miles with new fresh oil for a reason.
Old 04-18-2011, 09:29 PM
TECH Fanatic

we just started carrying it(work at autozone). if i remember right it cost very close to the same as the regular stuff. i'm not going to down it not knowing much about it but i think if a company wants to sell 50% recycled oil, they're going to have to sell it at least cheaper than the regular stuff.
Old 04-18-2011, 10:15 PM
Staging Lane

there's no way I'd pay the same price for recycled oil! That's ridiculous
Old 04-18-2011, 10:26 PM
TECH Resident

THAT's RIDICULOUS.
Old 04-19-2011, 06:29 AM
Save the manuals!

Received 322 Likes on 295 Posts

At the risk of getting involved in another oil thread...

Let's not comment on what oil is "better" - lot's of other threads on this.

IMO - The stuff about the recycled oil being used by racing teams is a total stinking pile of BS. First, every oil is in at least one racing team's car, sot that doesn't make any one oil better than another. Second, race teams change their oil and/or rebuild their engines anywhere from every 1/4 mile to every couple of hundred miles.

During some qualifying, NASCAR teams used vegetable oil! (When they were allowed to change engines between qualifying and the race.) That doesn't mean that I'd ever put it in my car.
Old 04-19-2011, 07:16 AM
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

There is nothing wrong with recycled oil NOTHING! Its as clean and fresh as new oil.
Old 04-19-2011, 03:34 PM
TECH Addict

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by O2Form
There is nothing wrong with recycled oil NOTHING! Its as clean and fresh as new oil.
proof?????
Old 04-19-2011, 03:46 PM
TECH Resident

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Proof that it isn't as good as new?

It wouldn't be inconceivable to be able to make a partly recycled oil as good as new anyway. Filter the impurities out and replace the additives and it would be essentially the same as taking the base stock and mixing in the additive pack the first time around.

Oil does not "wear out" per se. You use up the additive pack, you get some dilution from fuel, and you get some change in viscosity from a host of reasons. None of those are irreversible.

The people who will be really interested in buying this are those that want to be more environmentally friendly.
Old 04-19-2011, 04:25 PM
TECH Fanatic

"ANYWAY, wondering if someone can find any more info on this stuff or experiences. "

www.google.com . Use it. The entire frickin' internet is at your fingers.

"Valvoline Nextgen Oil"
About 915,000 results (0.19 seconds)

Re-refined motor oils is as good as new, depending on what add-pack the recycled oil has in it. If the add-pack is the same, the oil is the the same.

http://www.recycleoil.org/

http://nextgen.valvoline.com/

http://green.autoblog.com/2011/03/16...led-motor-oil/
Old 04-19-2011, 04:28 PM
TECH Apprentice

i wonder if buying this in bulk for a shop counts as a write off.
Old 04-19-2011, 05:12 PM
12 Second Club

LOL, who in their right mind thinks a major company like Valvoline would repackage & sell dirty used oil to consumers, thats just ignorance.

Like stated above, oil can be refined many ways, to recycle it & make it good as new again isnt as hard as some people would lead you to believe.
Old 04-19-2011, 06:45 PM
TECH Resident

wow some people live under a rock, pretty much every oil you buy today is formulated in part from "recycled oil". Where do you think all the oil goes when you change it, you either do what i do and empty it into a container to be dropped off at a local auto parts store that takes used oil, or you have you oil changed at a shop, where that oil ends up in a storage area for used oil. All that oil gets picked up to get recycled! been doing it for years upon years!
Old 04-21-2011, 12:09 PM
Save the manuals!

Received 322 Likes on 295 Posts

Originally Posted by 1994Z28Lt1
wow some people live under a rock, pretty much every oil you buy today is formulated in part from "recycled oil". Where do you think all the oil goes when you change it, you either do what i do and empty it into a container to be dropped off at a local auto parts store that takes used oil, or you have you oil changed at a shop, where that oil ends up in a storage area for used oil. All that oil gets picked up to get recycled! been doing it for years upon years!
AMEN. I should probably clarify my comment above. My example was entirely in relation to Valvoline's marketing. If you use mineral oil, there is nothing wrong with recycled oil. Odds are that any oil one buys (hell - "synthetic" oil may even contain recycled oil byproducts) has recycled oil "content." This is all more of a marketing/English issue vs. an engineering issue.

This "new" stuff is merely Valvoline "green-washing" their product and charging more for the label.

The bottom line is that oil is a commodity and we're all slaves to the market. As dinosaur oil goes up in price, we'll see (or not see) more recycled oil going in to bottles. (Any other recycled oil on the market goes in to heating oil and another million different uses.)

Here's a good FAQ: http://www.recycleoil.org/faqs/index.html
Old 04-21-2011, 06:56 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 17 Likes on 15 Posts

Thumbs up

good info here.
Old 04-21-2011, 07:05 PM
TECH Apprentice

When I said opinion on it, I meant from a consumer. Yes I did google
It and it seems to be fine. I couldn't find anything about why it was different
From regular oil because I knew it was recycled to some point as well. Thanks for being helpful to those who were.
Old 04-22-2011, 10:37 PM
TECH Fanatic

Regardless of whether or not it's as good as new oil, if you ask anybody to pay the same price for an oil that's labeled "recycled" as they would for regular fresh oil, more than likely they're going to buy the regular stuff. i just don't see how they're going to get many sales off of it. if anything it'll make them as a company look better and appeal to the "green" consumers.
Old 04-23-2011, 11:01 AM
TECH Resident

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by dutinsss
Regardless of whether or not it's as good as new oil, if you ask anybody to pay the same price for an oil that's labeled "recycled" as they would for regular fresh oil, more than likely they're going to buy the regular stuff. i just don't see how they're going to get many sales off of it. if anything it'll make them as a company look better and appeal to the "green" consumers.
Well I think one of the guys already said it best, they are trying to sell it to the market that wants a more "green" product, and that market will pay the same or sometimes even higher for the privilege of being "green."

I personally am not offended, if those customers want to do that it is fine with me. I can just by my Pennzoil Platinum and not worry about it.
Old 04-24-2011, 04:34 PM
On The Tree

You guys dont have to worry about gettting any of my used oils, tires or plastic.. I burn mine in a barrel with my trash.... Screw the trash company and the environment.