General Maintenance & Repairs Leaks | Squeaks | Clunks | Rattles | Grinds

CS alternator

Search this Thread

Old 04-20-2011, 10:00 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Angry CS alternator

Hello all!!! I'm installing a bigger alternator in My 85 Monte Carlo SS. I dont have the original alternator wiring so what I want to know is where do I run my wire that has the resistor in it??? Basically I'm wiring my alternator from scratch. please help. I have added an electric fan and have all the parts that I need including the alternator. Can I just run it to a wire that's hot only when the ignition is turned on???
Old 04-22-2011, 10:32 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

if you are more specific i might be able to help. how many wires to the alternator in addition to the big output wire? and what model specifically is the new alt. ?
you can google 3-wire alternator wiring diagram, assuming you have an alt. with a 3-wire voltage regulator, basically one wire is hot when ignition key on this is the exciter wire, 2nd wire is a voltage sense wire which should run as close to the battery as possible generally the main bus bar in the fuse box closest to battery, 3rd wire is the ignition warning light which you don't need to connect.
If you have a late model alternator the wiring to the voltage reg. in the alt. can get a little confusing.