General Maintenance & Repairs Leaks | Squeaks | Clunks | Rattles | Grinds

My head is starting to spin over this one plz help guys

Search this Thread

Old 04-23-2011, 06:10 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default My head is starting to spin over this one plz help guys

ok first off my car is a 99 ss. a week ago i had a fuel pump starting to cut out so i replaced it all seemed fine for a few days. well yesterday i was pulling out of giant eagles parking lot headed to buy some new tires and decided to get on it a little bit tires spun for a second didnt even get over 3,000 rpms rear passenger tire popped and i got a little bit of wheel hop and car died tried to restart but nothing i pushed the car to the gas station at the corner and realized my fuel pressure guage was reading zero so i figured maybe the wire harness came loose so i pulled the pump right there in the parking lot took the pump back home and tested it with a battery pump worked fine. drove back to my car and started checking fuses all seem good i switched the fuel pump relay with my relay for my fog lights since i knew they were working and the number on the relays matched turned the key and still not getting power to pump???? so for ***** i walked into sheets bought a can of starting fluid and sprayed it into the intake and car acted like it wanted to start. ended up having towed home. once i got it home which was around 9 at night i disconnected the battery figured it might be some kind of security bullshit. well today i have tested the harness that goes to the fuel pump from where it plugs into the back seats i powered the pump from there and it turns on so i derectly powered the pump from a spare battery and decided to crank it over and nothing didnt fire at all just cranks. tried the starting fluid and nothing not firing at all. i did notice while im starting my car the guages will act like they are resetting or something they go all the way to the right and drop back down ive only seen this when i had a bad battery i know its not the battery i switched with a good one already... im gonna go pull a plug and see if it even firing anymore now i have been told like 10 things it could be by like 5 different people someone told me vats but my car is still cranking? i was also told to jump the relay with 12v from under the hood not exactly sure how to do that.... if anyone can help my diagnose this problem i would greatly appreciate it thanks
Old 04-23-2011, 06:26 PM
TECH Regular

Did you check the pcm fuse, is the fuel pump coming on at all? also give the wires from the fuel relay in the rear driver wheelwell forward a good look. Any codes?
Old 04-23-2011, 06:37 PM
Teching In

no i did not check the pcm fuse but i will right now just got done pulling the number one plug held it close to the bolt/stud on the coil packs bracket and not seeing any spark
Old 04-23-2011, 06:39 PM
Teching In

no the fuel pump is not coming on at all and i didnt check the pcm fuse yet but i will right now i just got done pulling the number 1 plug held it close to the bolt/stud for the coil packs bracket and no spark let you know what i found out about the fuses im just going to check all of them
Old 04-23-2011, 06:48 PM
Teching In

no the fuel pump is not coming on at all and i didnt check the pcm fuse yet but i will right now i just got done pulling the number 1 plug held it close to the bolt/stud for the coil packs bracket and no spark let you know what i found out about the fuses im just going to check all of them . i also noticed my fuel level guage is not working either its like i have zero power going back there
Old 04-23-2011, 07:25 PM
Teching In

ok quick update that confuses me even more thanks for pointing me in the direction of the pcm fuse it was burnt out replaced it and now i have spark again. fuel still was not turning on by itself so i jumped it with a spare battery while the pump was on i tried to start it. it fired up and all seemed and sounded fine except for a lil annoying belt squeak i have and the fuel guage is still not reading so while it was still running i quickly disconnected the spare battery on the fuel pump and plug the actual harness into the pump to my amazment it started to pump wtf!!!!! i am 100 percent sure it was not turning on after i checked all fuses and relays thats why i jumped it. why the hell did it decided to start working on its own again??? well i turn the car off and tried it with everything hooked up and it primed immediately on its own and start right up i tried this 4 or 5 times and its priming and starting again on its own i still feel nowhere near comfortable to drive this car again did i fool the security system since i had it running then plugged the fuel pump harness in???
Old 04-23-2011, 08:28 PM
On The Tree

It does sound to me like a vats problem. Have it removed and see if that fixes the problem =)