General Maintenance & Repairs Leaks | Squeaks | Clunks | Rattles | Grinds

Starting problem

Old 04-25-2011, 05:19 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Starting problem

Well...got an issue, and lookin for some advice. Happened this morning while leaving for work, and has happened before in the morning. Put the key in ignition and twist and nothing....No starter cranking/turning over or anything...Sometimes this go's on for 15 min. give or take. Then outta the blue it will start like nothings wrong. Any suggestions??
Old 04-25-2011, 07:05 PM
Teching In

Does your "security" dash light come on when your car is showing this symptom?

Every now and then my car does the same thing. Turn key and NOTHING happens except for the security light coming on. I sort of always attributed this to the little resistor chip in the key not being picked up by the car. So far every time it's done this, I've taken out the key and given it a token wipe and it starts up the next time I try.
Old 04-26-2011, 02:04 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

same thing happens to me, i have reason to believe its the ignition lock cylinder. You can try using your spare, cleaning ur key to rule out ur keys as culprits.

If not try entering ur key in slowly, turn the key slowly ( not abruptly ) into where u see ur lights and gauges turn on, wait 2 seconds then fire it up.

a new ignition lock cylinder is at most 50 bucks new, hope this helps
Old 04-27-2011, 04:46 PM
Teching In

Ya the security light was on...but I think I got it fixed...pretty sure it was the Passlock security system thing. Fixed by:
1. Insert key in ignition, and turn to "on" position.
2. Wait 10 min. For passlock to reset. Then turn key to "off" position and wait an additional 20 seconds.
3. Turn key to "start" position and see if car will start.
4. Repeat this process 2 more times,(so total of 30 minutes)
5. After the third time, wait an additional 20 seconds
6. Finally, attempt to start the engine,it should start...I said should...
Old 05-06-2011, 12:41 AM
Teching In

well,...thought i had it fixed, but guess not...i dont have a spare key either.
Old 05-20-2011, 08:48 PM
Teching In

replaced the ignition switch(not lock cylinder), the actual switch under/behind the steering column. had to un bolt the steering column and drop it down. was kind of a pain in the but to get to it. with the column dropped i laid down in the drivers seat (with back reclined) UPSIDE DOWN, and it was kind of a "work by feel" sorta deal because couldnt really see much, and getting a screwdriver straight on was a pain . Oh ya, and i kept dropping the screw it was so small. hard thing was getting at the 2 screws from that angle....seemed to have worked...then it did it once more. so i cleaned the resistor contact on the key and all is good now...I hope it stays that way.
Old 05-21-2011, 04:04 AM
Teching In

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by LeanPocket
same thing happens to me, i have reason to believe its the ignition lock cylinder. You can try using your spare, cleaning ur key to rule out ur keys as culprits.

If not try entering ur key in slowly, turn the key slowly ( not abruptly ) into where u see ur lights and gauges turn on, wait 2 seconds then fire it up.

a new ignition lock cylinder is at most 50 bucks new, hope this helps
I am having the same problem. It's annoying, but doesn't happen every time.

Where'd you buy your new cylinder? I'm looking to do this on the cheap.

Search this Thread