General Maintenance & Repairs Leaks | Squeaks | Clunks | Rattles | Grinds

Help! car wont start

Search this Thread

Old 04-28-2011, 07:51 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Help! car wont start

so i get in my car today turn the key and nothing! all my lights come on but when i turn the key it doesn't make a sound, no clicking or anything...
its and ls1 with a 6 speed. obviously the clutch has to be pushed in or it wont start, im wondering if that has anything to do with it or if there is a bad fuse or something. car was running fine yesterday so im confused...
Old 04-28-2011, 08:34 PM
On The Tree

Starter? Mine went out all of a sudden. You might find my old thread on here where I went through the whole VATS thing. It was the starter.
Old 04-28-2011, 08:57 PM
Staging Lane

Take your A/C relay and switch it with the fuel pump relay. If it starts it was the fuel pump relay. Easy to check.
Old 04-28-2011, 09:07 PM
Teching In

well none of the relay swaping helped so i guess im gona be spending my friday changing the starter. thanks for the help guys
Old 04-28-2011, 09:10 PM
On The Tree

Should only take you about 30min to change. I changed mine on the side of the road.
Old 04-28-2011, 09:43 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by 99zconv
Take your A/C relay and switch it with the fuel pump relay. If it starts it was the fuel pump relay. Easy to check.
Wrong. You swap the AC & Starter relays.
As far as I can remember the fuel pump relay is by kick panel in the car.

Originally Posted by GOT LS1
so i get in my car today turn the key and nothing! all my lights come on but when i turn the key it doesn't make a sound, no clicking or anything...
its and ls1 with a 6 speed. obviously the clutch has to be pushed in or it wont start, im wondering if that has anything to do with it or if there is a bad fuse or something. car was running fine yesterday so im confused...
You swap the AC & Starter relays.
These are 1" square metal relays in the fuse box closer to your driver side headlight.
Make sure to get a new relay later and put the AC relay back where it was.

Even though you have a m6, you still hear the click when you turn the key. This is not happening because of a park neutral safety switch (this is what its called on a4, not sure if its same on m6 cars).

Don't go replacing the starter without testing this. Your starter isn't making any noise because its not getting a signal from the bad relay!
Old 04-28-2011, 10:04 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

If the car isn't cranking your issue isn't with the fuel pump. Here are some of the more likely issues you are facing:

Is the security light flashing or on when or after you turn the key to start the car? Lots of threads on how to bypass security system

Since you have an M6, you have a clutch safety switch where it needs to see you press the clutch in, in order for the car to start. You can try pushing the pedal as far down as you can (move floor mat out of the way) and see if it will start. Those switches wear out like anything else.

Issue with the starter itself which is probably most common but don't go buying a starter without testing it first. Autozone does free testing for you.

I believe you said you swapped out the starter relay with another relay right?

Wiring issue or even an ignition switch problem where the power isn't being sent to the starter. This is probably least common but still possible.

If it were me, I'd have someone turn the key while I had a volt meter or test light at the starter and make sure you are getting power there. If you are, pull the starter and get it tested then replace if necessary. Good luck
Old 04-28-2011, 10:29 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 18 Likes on 14 Posts

Power goes via a fuse named "START" (i think) located in one of the fuseboxes in engine comp. Check fuse or bad connection between fuse /holder/ wiring before going for the starter. Check for power.
i had this a couple years ago, bad connection > turned key to start nothing happend