General Maintenance & Repairs Leaks | Squeaks | Clunks | Rattles | Grinds

Window Help!

Search this Thread

Old 05-01-2011, 03:33 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Default Window Help!

My driver side window motor went out today, and will not go back up. Its sticking up about an inch out of the door panel. Is their any way to get it up incase it rains until i can get a new motor? (or possibly its just a bad switch)
Old 05-01-2011, 03:40 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 31 Likes on 26 Posts

Dont think so. You hace to get rid of the motor, pull up the window and put something in the brace mechanism to hold it up. It will be a very temporary fix and you need to get that new motor in ASAP.
Old 05-01-2011, 04:06 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

You can try pushing the up switch and pulling up on the window. I've done that when it got stuck before.
Old 05-01-2011, 04:09 PM
TECH Enthusiast

yea i tried pushing the switching and pulling but its not budging. Would it be best to just take it to a dealer and have them take care of it or what? Its a bitch since the window motor is behind the metal in the door.
Old 05-01-2011, 04:16 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 31 Likes on 26 Posts

I have done mine and you would be surprised at how easy it is. If your mechanically inclined it will be a breeze.

There is a couple of very good write ups around here.
Old 05-01-2011, 04:25 PM
TECH Enthusiast

So just order a new motor I should be good to go? Im trying to find a good write up on here but not having much luck.
Old 05-01-2011, 04:38 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 215 Likes on 176 Posts

http://shbox.com/page/windowmotor.html

i am sure there is a stickee here somewhere.........if i was doin it......i would throw in a autotrix kit
Old 05-02-2011, 01:29 PM
TECH Enthusiast

just ordered a new motor, anything to watch out for or tips while doing this?
Old 05-02-2011, 02:53 PM
Launching!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The little bolts that come with the replacement are usually almost the exact length you'll need, meaning they will be a bitch since they will seem to short at first and you'll be cursing them while trying to hold one while putting the nut on, lol. Just follow the guide on where to drill the holes and ONLY drill the right rivets. There are other rivets you do not want to touch. When you drill the final rivet out, the motor WILL drop like a rock inside your door. Make sure it's unplugged first and make sure you are holding it before you drill the last rivet out. Also, check the larger rivets that you aren't supposed to drill. Those will be visible without drilling. Make sure they aren't sheering off or elongating the holes they are in. The 2 on my passenger side sheered off the day after I replaced the driver motor so I needed to replace em with some bolts and washers to hold the regulator back in place again.

It really is easy. Shouldn't take you an hour.
Old 05-02-2011, 05:49 PM
Save the manuals!

Received 322 Likes on 295 Posts

This may help you get it shut in the interim:

- Let the car and door motor cool down for a while.
- Open the door.
- Turn the engine on.
- Have a friend operate the door window switch while you tug up with both hands on the glass. If it moves, keep going and keep tugging. (You may only get one shot until the motor cools down again.)

This problem is with thermal cutoff switch in the motor. It trips when it senses the window is all the way open/shut. Having it cool helps and lifting up on the glass reduces the resistance it senses and may keep it from tripping instantly.

BTW - Make sure you get a Dorman motor. (Its a newer improved design over the stock one that does this.)