General Maintenance & Repairs Leaks | Squeaks | Clunks | Rattles | Grinds

Bone Stock '00 SS PO420 code?

Old 05-06-2011, 06:10 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Default Bone Stock '00 SS PO420 code?

As the title says I have a Bone stock '00 SS, no mods whatsoever, it's an A4. I just got the car about two weeks ago. But anyways, a couple of days ago as I'm coming home from the local store, I see the "SERVICE ENGINE SOON" light pop up out of nowhere.

But, about 20 min. ago, I drove it down to Advanced Auto Parts and got a scan.

The scanner read:

PO420
Catalyst System Efficiency Below Threshold Bank 1

To my understanding, this is exhaust related, maybe an O2 sensor or a cat, not 100% sure which is why I need some assistance from you guys.

But anyways, can someone break it down to me, what exactly do I need to do to get rid of this problem. Where do I start? This car is bone stock, no modifications whatsoever. So, just wondering, what do you all recommend I do?

Thanks a bunch in advance guys.
Old 05-06-2011, 07:04 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I started with the 02 but found it to most commonly be the cat...I had both bank 1 and bank 2...replace the cats and reset the comp ....done.
Old 05-06-2011, 07:22 PM
TECH Fanatic

Thanks for the input man, much appreciated! After doing some searching on here, I think you're right, I probably won't even bother with the O2 sensors since that's probably not the issue. Sounds like it's going to be the cat, the drivers side since it's Bank 1 I'm thinking.

But, I have a couple extra questions for you guys as well.

Now that I think about it, I read some time ago (before I even had my car) that under warranty, GM would actually replace the converters in these cars under certain cirucmstances if they ever were to go out. I'm not sure if this policy is still implemented or not due to the age of these cars, but do you think it would be worth a shot to give my local Chevy service department a visit and ask them about it?

Next question, would anyone think that replacing the stock catted Y-Pipe with an aftermarket catted one (maybe a Pacesetter or Kooks or something of that nature), be a good idea? That is if I can even find one that will fit onto the stock manifold's?
Old 05-06-2011, 07:42 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Catalytic converters are covered for 8 years or 80K miles from in-service date under Federal emissions law. This goes for ALL cars.

GM released a customer satifaction campaign for the 2000-2002 V8 Camaro and Firebird for failed converters. They extended the warranty to 10 years or 120K miles.

Unless your car was sold to the original owner in late 2001 (highly unlikely), there is no warranty for the converter(s).

Finally, I post this in nearly every one of these P0420 or P0430 threads I see. It is IMPOSSIBLE for a failed catalyst monitor (rear O2) to set a catalyst inefficiency DTC. IMPOSSIBLE.
Old 05-06-2011, 08:43 PM
TECH Fanatic

Ok, I gotcha. Thanks for your input.

So, I guess I don't have any sort of warranty then, that's cool, at least I tried!

But anyways, by reading the last piece of what you said, I suppose there is no way that the issue would be an O2 sensor?

Also, I'm going through a dilemma on deciding whether or not to just replace the whole entire Y-Pipe and just buy a new aftermarket catted one. A lot of the exhaust components on the car are rusted badly due to the way the previous owner just let it sit. I'm really second-guessing as to whether or not I should just band-aid it and replace the one cat, or just replace the whole mid-pipe. I'm not really sure, I guess I'll sleep on it.

But yeah, is it safe to say that it's confirmed that the drivers side cat is causing the problem here? Nothing else?
Old 05-07-2011, 08:04 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Get a new y-pipe. If one CAT is bad now, you know the other will follow suit. Save yourself the time and headache and just replace both while it's on your mind. When mine threw this exact code I just bought a whole new exhaust. Kooks and Corsa...
Old 05-07-2011, 05:56 PM
TECH Addict

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

the only y-pipe that will fit the stock manifolds is a SLP
Old 05-07-2011, 09:41 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by Adam2001WS6
Get a new y-pipe. If one CAT is bad now, you know the other will follow suit. Save yourself the time and headache and just replace both while it's on your mind. When mine threw this exact code I just bought a whole new exhaust. Kooks and Corsa...
First off, I would love to replace my whole entire exhaust, but I just don't have the funds right now!

But yeah, I do actually think I'm going to go ahead and replace the whole Y-Pipe, because like you said, the other probably will go out as well. No need in band-aiding it when I could just completely solve the issue by replacing the whole piece (hopefully).

And to add, I've been driving the car as is lately and it runs fine. Although, it doesn't feel quite as explosive as it should and I don't think the gas mileage is what it should be, it gets the job done. It still however needs a new catted Y ASAP

Originally Posted by TheSilverOne
the only y-pipe that will fit the stock manifolds is a SLP
Really? I could have sworn I've seen more catted Y-'s that fit stock manifolds other than SLP's. I was actually browsing LMPerformance's site earlier and saw a Bassani that would do the job and a Magnaflow as well. Maybe I was looking at something else though?

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Bone Stock '00 SS PO420 code?