General Maintenance & Repairs Leaks | Squeaks | Clunks | Rattles | Grinds

annoying clunking sound , help

Search this Thread

Old 05-08-2011, 09:46 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default annoying clunking sound , help

here is some info about the car before i state the main problem. i have an 02 a4 z28. so about three weeks ago i brought my car in the shop because of spark/ wire problem that had caused a missfire. i told him to listen for this sound i have been hearing but he didnt . so i about a year ago i had work done on my rear, the first shop didnt not install the new differential and axles and pinion right so the pinion had to be adjusted after it had already made wear marks that have created a whine sound now. he also had to recently replace one of the axles and bearing because the bearings ate up the axle. i am starting to slightly hear the bad bearing sound again but im not sure if its the same side or if its the other side that hasnt been replaced yet.

so recently my car has started to make a clunking sounds as im coming to a stop , seems to get slightly louder when the brakes are applied. also when i go from drive to reverse i hear a clunk and can feel it and from drive to reverse i can feel it as well but when i go from drive to park and park to drive there is no clunking or rough engaging at all.

things i can think of is something with the brakes, trans mount, motor mounts, slip yoke, drive shaft U joints.

any help would be appreciated

-Dom
Old 05-09-2011, 03:09 PM
TECH Fanatic

Bump.
Old 05-09-2011, 05:01 PM
Teching In

Go get the rear end checked
Old 05-16-2011, 11:05 PM
TECH Fanatic

im def planning on it, just saving up so if something major is wrong i can take care of it then and there but here are some vids i took this week. dont mind my annoying voice lol i couldnt spit anything out.

the car was making sounds and seemed like it was rough putting into P to R and R to P and D to R so i took this vid underneath the car. is this normal or is there way to much play down there?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LEZl3FcQHEc

in this vid the car keeps to be making a weird like sqeeking/ swirling sound idk if its my driveshaft rubbin on my exhaust because they are literally ontop of each other almost also listen at the very end you can hear it bang hard when i give it a little gas.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MlPYAiJTFJI

also this seems not right how close my driveshaft and exhaust are

and here is a pic of my trans mount it looks torn

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X6c6JU--O6k
Old 05-17-2011, 10:42 PM
TECH Fanatic

bump, nothing guys?
Old 05-18-2011, 07:44 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

pinion bearing,U-joint,bad torque arm mount.check engine and tranny mount also.
Old 05-18-2011, 09:39 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

i'll bet it's a u joint.
Old 05-25-2011, 11:29 PM
TECH Fanatic

so i crawled under the car today and here are some pics i took the drive shaft has a tiny big play to move but im not sure if thats normal or not. anyway here are the pics.

here is my tranny mount looks in pretty rough shape to me, what should i do as a replacement for this prothane mount is that best option?

here is my torque arm bushing i couldnt tell if anything was wrong with this or not it looks split in half to me but there is alot of grease at the end of it for some reason on the other side

and hear is where my drive shaft is hitting my exhaust you can see the wear marks on the exhaust. best option i guess would be to take it to a shop and get it adjusted? how much would that most likely cost?

Last edited by z28camaross2; 05-25-2011 at 11:53 PM.
Old 05-25-2011, 11:45 PM
Launching!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

That torque arm mount is shot. Worn out and shot. The tranny mount looks bad too. Can't say on the exhaust though, but it definately needs adjusting. I can't imagine it costing much.

The sound could be ujoints, might be wheel bearings too. Last bad bearing I had made a roaring sound, the one before that made a clicking. Check the driveshaft out though, especially since it's been contacting the exhaust and your torque arm and tranny mounts are in dire need of replacement.

I just replaced both of those on mine. One of them caused a clunk, maybe both, but both were torn to hell in any event.
Old 05-26-2011, 05:46 AM
10 Second Club

Received 22 Likes on 20 Posts

I just found out my motor mounts are shot. So trans mount was shot to. I figured I would get the TA bushing along with them. Ill be getting my MMs done today and trans mount+ta bushing are already done. You should do the same. Then see what happens.
Old 05-26-2011, 09:24 PM
TECH Fanatic

im def gonna get a new tranny mount and a TQ arm bushing, noise is just getting worse and worse clunking like craz, but is there any certain brand i should get, i just received my prothane motor mounts with my ARH longtubes.

also i have had my rear rebuilt twice because the first shop screwed it up beyond belief and now i have a pretty bad rear whine when i get to 60, a shops tried to fix it but it only went away so much. but the bearings were bad when the shop did it the first time. and then in october a set of bearings went bad again. the shop showed me the bearings and the axle told me the other shop put in the wrong type of axle and the bearings just chewed it up , it was bad. but now it sounds like it might be happening again idk if its just the other side the shop didnt replace or if its the newer one again. is there anything that could be making my bearings go bad so fastly , the car has 70k miles on it now and stock shocks they feel pretty rough... and new jersey roads are horrible. any clue?
Old 05-26-2011, 09:36 PM
Launching!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

You can go all poly, but there's the distinct possibility that you're gonna get a lot of new vibration that you won't like. When I replaced both my mounts donw there, I just got them new from SDPC. OEM style. The torque arm mount is actually TWO separate pieces if you buy factory. These are the part numbers for the torque arm mount and the tranny mount for a 99 Trans Am automatic.

Those are for BOTH halves of the torque arm mount. I got the tranny mount from Amazon, factory and oddly, it is listed as a strut mount there. It is most definately not, and is the correct part.

You could also try mixing and matching too. Get a factory rubber tranny mount and a poly torque arm mount. See if that combo suits you, and is probably the best way to start off.
Old 05-27-2011, 12:07 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

how often do u do burn out like the one on your pix ? what out for the rear end.
Old 05-27-2011, 07:07 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by Elthesh
You can go all poly, but there's the distinct possibility that you're gonna get a lot of new vibration that you won't like. When I replaced both my mounts donw there, I just got them new from SDPC. OEM style. The torque arm mount is actually TWO separate pieces if you buy factory. These are the part numbers for the torque arm mount and the tranny mount for a 99 Trans Am automatic.

Those are for BOTH halves of the torque arm mount. I got the tranny mount from Amazon, factory and oddly, it is listed as a strut mount there. It is most definately not, and is the correct part.

You could also try mixing and matching too. Get a factory rubber tranny mount and a poly torque arm mount. See if that combo suits you, and is probably the best way to start off.
where are those part numbers for? and so is my torque arm mount actually shot? i might as well get the polly mount its not much anyway. but i am still concerned about the vibrations from a poly trans mount i need to decide what im doing today because im worried about something going wrong. i was wondering why my rear whine was louder than usual most likely from the shot mounts not having the driveshaft in the proper position.

also i do not do burnouts anymore honestly that picture was a year ago and it was my last time doing a burn out.
Old 05-27-2011, 01:39 PM
Staging Lane

I used to have a 93 Z28 A4 LT1, when I first got it, the tranny mount broke. I replaced it with a stock mount about 3 times and it kept breaking. So I tried to find a urethane tranny mount but for some reason I couldn't find one. I ended up getting a solid tranny mount from kragen for about $15. I had the solid one for a few years before I sold the car, and never had a problem with it. I did not notice a difference in ride harshness between solid and rubber tranny mounts.
Old 05-27-2011, 04:02 PM
TECH Fanatic

really think im gonna go with rubber mount and poly TQ arm bushings i dont want to have another problem with vibrations to fix a current clunking one.

anyone know the best place to get the oem rubber mount?
Old 05-31-2011, 10:33 PM
TECH Fanatic

im most likely going with a rubber mount just have to find where to get one. but is it ok to use a poly TA bushing in stock location or only with the relocation kit?

Quick Reply: annoying clunking sound , help