General Maintenance & Repairs Leaks | Squeaks | Clunks | Rattles | Grinds

Oil leak behind timing cover

Search this Thread

Old 05-11-2011, 09:38 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Default Oil leak behind timing cover

I've done a lot of searches but im to the point where i just need to start asking questions. Had this over in newbie tech but thought it might be better over here.

My harmonic balancer is wobbling so im going to change it out with a powerbond. I also noticed that i've got an oil leak from behind the timing cover. From what i;ve read im assuming that its leaking from around the crank snout.

Questions, what do i need to order? Here's what i've came up with;

Crank bolt
powerbond harmonic balancer (comes with the crank pulley i assume)
Timing cover seal (not a front cover seal right?)
new belts

Im gonna go ahead and replace the oil pump, timing chain and gears while in there
Melling oil pump (what gasket/o rings will i need?)
LS2 timing chain
New gears (unsure of what brand to go with)

What is the seal called where the crank comes out of the block and into oil pump called? Im assuming thats where my leak is.

Is there anything to replace where the crank contacts the timing cover?

I gotta knock this out at one shot so im trying to prevent any delays for parts. I've already spent more time researching than it should take for the actual job.

Thanks guys
Old 05-11-2011, 09:47 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by sneaky7980
I've done a lot of searches but im to the point where i just need to start asking questions. Had this over in newbie tech but thought it might be better over here.

My harmonic balancer is wobbling so im going to change it out with a powerbond. I also noticed that i've got an oil leak from behind the timing cover. From what i;ve read im assuming that its leaking from around the crank snout.

Questions, what do i need to order? Here's what i've came up with;

Crank bolt
powerbond harmonic balancer (comes with the crank pulley i assume)
Timing cover seal (not a front cover seal right?)
new belts

Im gonna go ahead and replace the oil pump, timing chain and gears while in there
Melling oil pump (what gasket/o rings will i need?)
LS2 timing chain
New gears (unsure of what brand to go with)

What is the seal called where the crank comes out of the block and into oil pump called? Im assuming thats where my leak is.

Is there anything to replace where the crank contacts the timing cover?

I gotta knock this out at one shot so im trying to prevent any delays for parts. I've already spent more time researching than it should take for the actual job.

Thanks guys
List looks pretty good. The seal you're wondering about is the front main seal. You're probably right to assume that is where the leak is coming from with the balancer wobbling. Replace that and make sure you install the new balancer correctly; then find an ape to torque that balancer bolt

Good luck with your project. Let us know how it goes.

Brad
Old 05-12-2011, 05:56 PM
TECH Enthusiast

So there are 2 seals in regards to the crank right? One where it comes out of the block and one where it actually meets the timing cover?

That's the impression i was under but when i stopped at the chevy parts dept they only listed one.
Old 05-12-2011, 08:25 PM
TECH Enthusiast

There is only one seal for the crank. The balancer is the crank pulley and butts up to the oil pump and does not need an internal seal as everything inside the timing cover needs to be covered in oil anyway. The one seal in the timing cover will do the trick.

Also, when I installed my harmonic balancer I put it in the oven to warm it up before install to make it slip right over the shaft. The reason for heating it up is because it is an friction fit and has no key. Once it cools down it will be seated firmly.

**And like Edward Said, Ur gonna need to get a gorilla to torqe down the crank bolt. It is a PITA to torque down! If you have a manual, put it in gear and have at it. If you have an auto, You can try wedging an open ended wrench in between one spoke of the balancer and the k-member to lock it in place while you torque down. That is the method I used and it seemed to work well.

Last edited by ryle; 05-12-2011 at 08:31 PM.
Old 05-12-2011, 09:06 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by ryle
There is only one seal for the crank. The balancer is the crank pulley and butts up to the oil pump and does not need an internal seal as everything inside the timing cover needs to be covered in oil anyway. The one seal in the timing cover will do the trick.

Also, when I installed my harmonic balancer I put it in the oven to warm it up before install to make it slip right over the shaft. The reason for heating it up is because it is an friction fit and has no key. Once it cools down it will be seated firmly.

**And like Edward Said, Ur gonna need to get a gorilla to torqe down the crank bolt. It is a PITA to torque down! If you have a manual, put it in gear and have at it. If you have an auto, You can try wedging an open ended wrench in between one spoke of the balancer and the k-member to lock it in place while you torque down. That is the method I used and it seemed to work well.
THanks guys! I finally got the info i needed. Also thanks for the heating tip. As far as torq, i've got 2 wrenches that go to 250. The one is about 4 ft long and im hoping i can get it in there.

I ordered my welling oil pump, gm timing cover gasket, gm chain, gm oil pump o ring and gm crank seal today. Now just need to find the best deal on a powerbond balancer.

Last dumb question. What temp and how long did you bake your converter?

THats gotta be the weirdest question i've asked this year!
Old 05-13-2011, 05:35 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by sneaky7980
THanks guys! I finally got the info i needed. Also thanks for the heating tip. As far as torq, i've got 2 wrenches that go to 250. The one is about 4 ft long and im hoping i can get it in there.

I ordered my welling oil pump, gm timing cover gasket, gm chain, gm oil pump o ring and gm crank seal today. Now just need to find the best deal on a powerbond balancer.

Last dumb question. What temp and how long did you bake your converter?

THats gotta be the weirdest question i've asked this year!
That is a kinda touchy subject in that you have to be careful not to make it so hot that it melts the new seal yet you need to make it hot enough for it to slide over the hub. Personally I set the oven for 400* and put it in while I was installing the other front accessories such as the Water pump, power steering pump and ac compressor. I wanna say it was probably in the oven for about 30-45 minutes. No oil leaks so far and I have been running the motor up to 6500-7k daily with no problems. You may want to be careful about over heating your new balancer as I am not sure what material it is made out of. The balancer I was using was stock.

Also, here is the procedure I used when I did my h/c install. Click Here I realize you are not doing a H/C install, but as far as the timing cover and crank bolt the procedure is the same. If you use the oven method you do not need to torque down the balancer to 240 ft/lbs as that step is to seat the balancer on the hub.

Personally if it were me I would probably at a minimum throw a mild cam in the car while you have it that far apart. It is a matter of taking loose the rockers, cam retainer plate, pulling the old cam out and putting a new one in. Really would only take you an extra 30-45 minutes once you were down as far as taking the timing cover and oil pump off. Just my .02

Last edited by ryle; 05-13-2011 at 06:47 PM.
Old 05-15-2011, 09:41 AM
Launching!

How did the balancer start to wobble, was it damaged or something?
Old 05-16-2011, 03:53 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Schnell
How did the balancer start to wobble, was it damaged or something?
No damage that i can think of. Whole car just started vibrating one day. After going through the whole driveline and trying 3 sets of wheels and tires along with 3 different tire shops. I just gave up and learned to live with it. One day while tracking down a leak i noticed the pulley was wobbling.

Quick Reply: Oil leak behind timing cover