General Maintenance & Repairs Leaks | Squeaks | Clunks | Rattles | Grinds

Cluster of symptoms

Search this Thread

Old 05-16-2011, 09:00 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Question Cluster of symptoms

I have a 2000 SS M6 and have had poor fuel mileage for a while now. So far I assumed it was due to our terrible California gas, but with the other things that have started happening lately I am wondering whether there is more to it.

As mentioned in another thread the car idled really low and took several seconds to stabilize on cold startup after work today. Temperature was in the high 60s with a light drizzle.

Lately it takes forever to fill up, because every time I depressed the lever on the fuel nozzle more than about 1/3 the pump shuts off.

Mileage has been about 15 the last couple of tanks with 75% city, 25% freeway.

The engine sounds normal and appears to pull normal, oil pressure is good. Mileage on the car is about 64000. The car has California emissions, if that matters.

Any advice is appreciated.
Old 05-16-2011, 10:26 PM
On The Tree

Just replaced the PCV valve, we'll see whether that makes a difference.
Old 05-16-2011, 10:55 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

try cleaning your maf.
Old 05-17-2011, 10:47 AM
On The Tree

Will do tonight, thanks!
Old 05-17-2011, 11:06 AM
LS1Tech Premium Sponsor

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

How many miles on O2 sensors? When was the last time you replaced your fuel filter?

Largest Stocking Distributor of LS-x Engines / CHECK OUT OUR NEW WEBSITE!

COMP - FAST - PACESETTER - DIAMOND RACING - EAGLE SPECIALTY PRODUCTS - CALLIES - COMETIC GASKETS
RAM CLUTCHES - MOSER ENGINEERING - KOOK'S HEADERS - ARP - GM BOLTS AND GASKETS - MSD - NGK
POWERBOND - ASP - AND MORE!
Old 05-17-2011, 11:21 AM
TECH Enthusiast

I was going to mention the O2 sensors as well. Throwing any codes? Bank 1 Sensor 1 and/or Bank 2 Sensor 2?
Old 05-17-2011, 09:38 PM
On The Tree

O2 sensors were in the car since new (64k miles). No SES light, going to whip out the code reader on the weekend. If there are no codes, is there a way to check the sensors?

Fuel filter should probably have been replaced at the 60k, but I'm not sure the dealer actually did it, so I'll replace it on the chance it was not done.

Anyone have an idea about the reason for the difficulties pumping gas? Charcoal canister?
Old 05-18-2011, 01:38 PM
TECH Enthusiast

If you aren't throwing any codes, and you have a good reader like a Tech 2 then your sensors should be ok.

As far as the pumping gas thing. I experience a similar problem, but just not as severe. Several times I've stopped using one pump, drove my car 5 feet to the next pump and tried that one because the pump lever just wouldn't stay down-so frustrating! My buddy has the same problem with his Camaro, and I think somehow the design is off enough to make pumps act up on our cars...I dunno!
Old 05-18-2011, 01:47 PM
Launching!

The fuel bottle necks up in the small fuel neck that runs down into our fuel tank making the pump shut off. If you just wait a few seconds and let the fuel go down into the tank you should be able to keep pumping, no big deal there.
Old 05-20-2011, 12:38 AM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by 99peweterls1
The fuel bottle necks up in the small fuel neck that runs down into our fuel tank making the pump shut off. If you just wait a few seconds and let the fuel go down into the tank you should be able to keep pumping, no big deal there.
I would not ask if it had been like this from the beginning. It started a couple of years ago and got worse over time, that's why I am asking.