General Maintenance & Repairs Leaks | Squeaks | Clunks | Rattles | Grinds

Is a prothane trans mount a must when doin prothane motor mounts?

Search this Thread

Old 05-22-2011, 02:21 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Is a prothane trans mount a must when doin prothane motor mounts?

I'm tired of my ypipe banging the floor, so I'm putting in prothane motor mounts. Just wondering if i have to do the trans too. I was wanting to keep vibration to a minimum.
Old 05-22-2011, 03:18 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

No. Personally I would recc against a poly tranny mount when you have poly motor mounts as the vibrations are really transmitted through out the car. I had one and just recently switched back to the OEM rubber tranny mount and the vibrations reduced quite a bit and the shifter settled down some. Just my .02!!!
Old 05-22-2011, 04:35 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 215 Likes on 176 Posts

poly MM and tranny here.............you would never know unless i told you..........so much for the vibes every 1 else has
Old 05-22-2011, 09:31 PM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by DAVE00
No. Personally I would recc against a poly tranny mount when you have poly motor mounts as the vibrations are really transmitted through out the car. I had one and just recently switched back to the OEM rubber tranny mount and the vibrations reduced quite a bit and the shifter settled down some. Just my .02!!!
I have heard this too. Thats what i dont want. so far two replies and they both contradict. im still at square one. lol
Old 05-23-2011, 03:45 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 215 Likes on 176 Posts

you will never know til ya do it
Old 05-23-2011, 07:04 AM
TECH Resident

I have poly motor mounts and switched back to an OE rubber trans mount also for the same reasons.
Old 05-25-2011, 04:10 PM
TECH Fanatic

Yep. The poly transmission mount caused a lot of noise and vibration. I have poly motor mounts and went back to the rubber trans mount.
Old 05-25-2011, 05:46 PM
Launching!

I just had both done this month basically, motor mounts went on first. There was a noticeable icnrease in vibes at idle, but quite livable. The transmission mount Im not totally sold on. For the most part it doesnt transmit that much more vibes into the car. i find greatest vibes are at wide open, or near 140 kmph. That might be due to my storage tires beening on still or the rear end that is whinning away. overall the cost is what sold me on poly, that and they wont tear. my car is a dd, i drive it 80km daily. Overall for maximum confort go rubber for the transmission. I probabaly would have it if it wasnt stupid priced up here in canada, and the week wait.
Old 05-25-2011, 06:11 PM
TECH Fanatic

I have poly trans and motor mounts and I feel all the vibrations from the engine & trans. It's a little annoying but tolerable.

Last edited by riceburnerZ28; 05-25-2011 at 07:40 PM.
Old 05-25-2011, 07:24 PM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I believe the owner of my car did both motor and trans poly and while it seems just fine to me i guess i haven't known any different

Quick Reply: Is a prothane trans mount a must when doin prothane motor mounts?