General Maintenance & Repairs Leaks | Squeaks | Clunks | Rattles | Grinds

Pop Pop caused by exhaust leak?

Search this Thread

Old 05-25-2011, 12:25 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Pop Pop caused by exhaust leak?

96 Impala
Could an exhaust leak cause my car to "pop"?? Example-I was driving at like 35 hit the gas to go around sopmeone and heard a pop. I know I have an exhaust leak, but would that cause such a loud pop?? Also I was messing around with my kids and nephews and went to do a brake torque(I know I know) but it wouldnt even do it...it sounded like um, like it wasnt getting gas maybe...someone please help me. Summer is here and you know everyone wants to race in the summer!! Exhaust leak is getting fixed this weak but I wanted to know if it sounded like anything else to you experts.
Old 05-25-2011, 01:33 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Yes an exhaust leak can pop when leaking depending on circumstances, an exhaust leak can also rob power from the engine. Also If you are driving a 96 it is not carbureted, it is fuel injected. If you feel it is starving for fuel, first put a new fuel filter on it, and then do a simple pressure check. Hope this helps
Old 05-25-2011, 08:44 PM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Hopefully it is that leak, i was gunna say either way you'll need it fixed but saw that you are. If not, i'm pretty sure backfires only occur when the timing of the intake and exhaust valves are off, again not sure though.