General Maintenance & Repairs Leaks | Squeaks | Clunks | Rattles | Grinds

Hard start, surging idle, and some times will not start

Search this Thread

Old 05-29-2011, 07:00 AM
12 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default Hard start, surging idle, and some times will not start

The car has been running perfect untill the other morning. i can get in it in the morning and it will start right up like normal. i took it to get some liquid gold at the gas station and the car wouldn't start. It turns over good and fast but no start. I sat there for a few min. and got it to start. I have to crank on it for 10 sec and it was just barely trying to start and it finally ran on its own without the starter but when u hit the gas it would fall on its face. I got it home and let it sit and run for a while. When i let it sit and run it will randomly surge idle ever min or so.
Im not sure if it is wiring or what but i have also noticed that when i temp gadge fallls all the way down to 0 the car starts acting up but when it is reading normal it runs fine.

The car isnt throwing any codes.
Old 05-29-2011, 02:18 PM
LS1Tech Administrator

Received 1,484 Likes on 1,068 Posts

I'd probably start by checking fuel pressure, a weak pump could certainly cause the issue you have described.

However, I'm a bit confused about the temp gage situation. Do you mean that the gage just randomly drops to 0, even when you know that the engine is warm? And at the same time the idling/starting issue will also occur? If so, then it certainly sounds like something electrical would be at fault. Or do you just mean that the idling/starting issue only happens on a cold engine (thus the gage reading 0)?
Old 05-29-2011, 02:55 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Check your wires around the front of the motor and over to the drivers side. The temp sensor is in the drivers side head towards the front of the car. Also check around the MAF, throttle body, intake... see if any of those wires have gotten burnt / cut.

If the IAT sensor isnt plugged in to the intake elbow it'll do something similar. You change the air filter or anything recently?
Old 05-29-2011, 11:33 PM
12 Second Club

no i havent done anything. I just drove the car on a 500mile trip and it drove flawlessly.
This all started when i pulled the gadge cover off (the plastic bezle that goes around the gadges and the fog light switch). My tach and speedo would max all the way out then come back down after i took it off to clean the clear gadge cover. it kinda does it at random when u hit the key.
Fuel pump checked out
Injectors checked out
Im not sure on the coils... they have power when it wont start but i cant find the pulsing ground... What wire is the pulsing ground on the coil?

Do i need to check crank sensor?
Old 05-31-2011, 06:52 AM
12 Second Club

No one?
Old 05-31-2011, 03:03 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by RPM WS6
I'd probably start by checking fuel pressure, a weak pump could certainly cause the issue you have described.
This^
Old 06-04-2011, 03:56 PM
12 Second Club

I put a pressure gadge on it and it shows to be fine even when it is stalling. I think its the coolant temp s. I think it is causing the pcm to wigg out.
Old 06-04-2011, 03:59 PM
TECH Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

you got it. the pcm is changing the fuel maps due to the temp it is seeing from the sensor. check the wires and sensor.