General Maintenance & Repairs Leaks | Squeaks | Clunks | Rattles | Grinds

a/c dont work have some questions

Search this Thread

Old 05-31-2011, 05:55 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Unhappy

alright my 99 z28 a/c leaks i have put two stop leaks and the high millage leak sealer and in 1 day all the freon is gone i looked at every hose under the hood and no visibal leaks so that just leaves somewhere ehind the dash any body know if its a hard do it yourself thing or anybody know where i can take it to get fixed for a decent price cause its starting to get hot and i not about to start sticking to my seat lol

or is there any good stuff i can buy
Old 05-31-2011, 06:49 PM
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

1st mistake. buying leak stop for your a/c system. when you take it in to a shop to fix it, they can test for leak stop and will most likely refuse to service your vehicle cause you will destroy their machines with it.

freon can escape without leaving oily residue from the pag oil. assuming this is not the case, it is escaping from your evaporator, which is buried inside your dash.
Old 05-31-2011, 07:03 PM
Teching In

damn lol do you know how much they usally charge and i look at the compressor and for some reason its all oily well i looked at the two cans and it was leak detector not leak stop what the guy told me at auto zone
Old 05-31-2011, 09:46 PM
Teching In

I'm betting your compressor shaft seal is leaking. Pull the compressor out and remove the clutch. If oil is present, you've found you problem. Actually it's a tough job getting to the top compressor bolts. You probably won't even consider putting back the old one if it's the origonal. I just replaced mine for the first time in my '99 Z. I bought the replacement from DiscountAC.com. They actually sell a kit with all you need except the gas. Free shipping too! They have a complete online video learning center on this site too if you are new at AC. http://www.discountacparts.com/
You should be able to do all the wrenching yourself then have a shop evacuate and charge it.
Good Luck!
Old 06-01-2011, 07:50 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by 71novaguy
1st mistake. buying leak stop for your a/c system. when you take it in to a shop to fix it, they can test for leak stop and will most likely refuse to service your vehicle cause you will destroy their machines with it.

freon can escape without leaving oily residue from the pag oil. assuming this is not the case, it is escaping from your evaporator, which is buried inside your dash.
if it was leaking from my evaporator i would be able to smell it in the car
Old 06-01-2011, 07:57 PM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by blubuckaroo
I'm betting your compressor shaft seal is leaking. Pull the compressor out and remove the clutch. If oil is present, you've found you problem. Actually it's a tough job getting to the top compressor bolts. You probably won't even consider putting back the old one if it's the origonal. I just replaced mine for the first time in my '99 Z. I bought the replacement from DiscountAC.com. They actually sell a kit with all you need except the gas. Free shipping too! They have a complete online video learning center on this site too if you are new at AC. http://www.discountacparts.com/
You should be able to do all the wrenching yourself then have a shop evacuate and charge it.
Good Luck!
Exactly.....mine did the same thing. Compressors are expensive, that's the reason I haven't bought one yet. I've had mine off about 3 different times, it's actually not bad at all.

Quick Reply: a/c dont work have some questions