General Maintenance & Repairs Leaks | Squeaks | Clunks | Rattles | Grinds

Help!!! Major turn signal problem!!!

Search this Thread

Old 06-01-2011, 10:56 AM
TECH Apprentice

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default Help!!! Major turn signal problem!!!

Heres the deal just got my first camaro ever (reformed mustang guy lol) and the passenger turn signal will not work. All bulbs are good, left works fine, back passenger signal just lights solid (no flash, and so does the indicator in the dash) when hazards are on all will blink ECEPT for the front passenger bulb. The turn signal wire(blue) is not getting any power but the it will liught as a parking light. I know the bulb is a double filament and that one could be blown so I have tried 4 other bulbs and still no luck the turn sigla wire is not getting any juice at all to it.
Is there a relay or something that could be causing this? could it be the drl module? if so how do I test it?
I replaced the socket because it looked like it was melted and figured the would fix the problem but no luck.

PLEASE HELP!!! dont want to get a ticket or an accident!!!
Old 06-01-2011, 10:58 AM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I think there is a fuse that causes the flasher to actually blink I am not 100% sure so I hope someone else chimes in to help you out with the problem. If not call a chevrolet dealership and ask them.
Old 06-01-2011, 04:05 PM
Banned

go to the parts house, by a turn signal relay (or flasher, depending on whats in the system). cost like 7 bucks. replace the flasher (under the dash. remove 2 screws and 2 bolts on the panel below the steering wheel). you will see it on the right side attached to a little dash frame piece with a clip. i just replaced mine and the difference is amazing. no more slow blink/solid light.
Old 06-01-2011, 05:56 PM
On The Tree

Yup...try replacing the flasher under the dash, that fixed my problem a few months ago. Also make sure that every single bulb on the car is working...blown bulbs can make it act pretty weird sometimes
Old 06-01-2011, 08:14 PM
TECH Apprentice

did the flasher and rechecked all the bulbs this morning right after my first post. All bulbs were good and the flasher made my back right signal work fine but the front right still will not flash and I have tried 6 different NEW bulbs to make sure none of the filaments were blown and still nothing.
basically after the flasher my only problem now is that the front right signal will light up but will not flash. This is driving me nuts lol I hate electrical!!!
Old 06-02-2011, 12:14 PM
Save the manuals!

Received 322 Likes on 295 Posts

Was the front bulb solid before you do anything? In that case, the problem was just the flasher. Maybe there is an issue with the socket you wired in?
Old 06-02-2011, 06:19 PM
Banned

the issue is with the socket its self. one wire powers the turn signal part, the other the solid light. since I am a cheap ***, I fixed my issue this way. in the socket, there are metal strips that contact the bulb. the issue is that they dont spring out and make contact anymore. so, I clipped the end of a ziptie (the portion that is thin) and shoved it behind the metal strip. this pushed it out enough to recontact the bulb. issue resolved.
Old 06-03-2011, 09:31 PM
TECH Apprentice

its not the socket the socket is brand new and also I checked the blue turn signal wire is not getting power. I traced the wire to right before the driver side headlight and it was not getting any juice at that point.
any other suggestions? about to go nuts lol
Old 06-04-2011, 08:16 AM
Save the manuals!

Received 322 Likes on 295 Posts

Were you having the same issue before you started replacing parts? If so, you'll need to trace the wire back to the DRL module. (That's where all the turn signal and DRL magic happens.)
Old 06-05-2011, 07:55 AM
TECH Apprentice

where is the drl on a 99 camaro? what does it look like?
Old 06-05-2011, 11:34 AM

I had a problem with my left turn signal working intermittently, and it turns out that apparently a mouse had chewed some wires causing the turn signal and the hazard wires cross.
Old 11-27-2011, 11:53 PM
TECH Apprentice

it was the drl module all good now