General Maintenance & Repairs Leaks | Squeaks | Clunks | Rattles | Grinds

a/c is not working

Search this Thread

Old 06-02-2011, 07:13 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default a/c is not working

my a/c in my car has not been working for about a year now last summer i just didnt use it. this year im nto gonna make that same mistake its already way to hot driving to work.
so when i turn the ac on max the compressor will not enguage i tryed to see if it was locked up today and it spins when i turn it with my hand pretty freely. i checked my fuses and they are good. now last summer i cheked the freon in it and it was over full so i had it removed and put it to the recommended limit still nothing. it blows but only will blow out hot air.
im guessing the compressor is bad but any other ideas iv already ordered a new compressor for it. but what do you guys think sound like a bad compressor?
Old 06-03-2011, 07:56 AM
On The Tree

Have you checked the relay? My a/c quit working recently- worked perfect one day, and the next the compressor clutch wouldn't engage. You can try swapping the relay with another known good like your horn or fog light relay and see if that's the problem.
Old 06-03-2011, 08:24 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 79 Likes on 70 Posts

Low pressure switch is likely tripped because it has no freon in it. Get a can on freon, turn the ac on, and shoot it in there. Compressor should kick on once the can get about half empty. The compressor may still work but the freon will likely leak back out. You can tackle your problem from there.
Old 06-06-2011, 07:31 PM
On The Tree

yeah i tryed both of them and nothing it looks to be holding feon cause i checked the presure and it was still good after a few weeks
Old 06-06-2011, 11:45 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 79 Likes on 70 Posts

Could be a faulty compressor clutch or a faulty low or high pressure switch.
Old 06-09-2011, 01:49 PM
TECH Regular

My blazer did this, I unplugged the low pressure sensor and jumpered it using a piece of wire on the wiring harness and the compressor kicked on (this was after making sure I had good pressure and freon of course). Replaced that sensor and all has been well ever since.