General Maintenance & Repairs Leaks | Squeaks | Clunks | Rattles | Grinds

A/C Compressor took a crap!!!

Search this Thread

Old 06-05-2011, 06:00 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default A/C Compressor took a crap!!!

I was under my car trying to fix the power steering leak. I was looking around and the A/C compressor was leaking freon out of the bottom. I figure that I need to get a new compressor, but what else will required to be changed with the compressor to make things work at the max again. I also am wondering what is a good brand of A/C compressor. I don't want to have any other problems with the A/C again so I want to do it right the first time. I am looking for some advice from people that have gone through this and to help me pick a good brand for replacement parts. Thanks Trevor
Old 06-05-2011, 06:28 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by Trev_SS
I was under my car trying to fix the power steering leak. I was looking around and the A/C compressor was leaking freon out of the bottom. I figure that I need to get a new compressor, but what else will required to be changed with the compressor to make things work at the max again. I also am wondering what is a good brand of A/C compressor. I don't want to have any other problems with the A/C again so I want to do it right the first time. I am looking for some advice from people that have gone through this and to help me pick a good brand for replacement parts. Thanks Trevor
welcome to the club bro. mine took a dump right after i just put a new motor in my car im in the same boat looking for one as well. my leak is in the same place as yours. really bad too. ran a can of that floresant freon and watched it leak. theres a few places online that sell brand new and rebuilt compressors. acsource.com and discountacparts.com are just to name a few. good luck bro and if you get a deal leme know.
Old 06-05-2011, 07:18 PM
TECH Apprentice

buy new, stay away from remans

at the very least you will want to buy a new compressor, accumulator/drier, orifice tube, and find someone who knows what they are doing for a system flush/recharge.
Old 06-05-2011, 07:54 PM

I will install all the parts and more than likely take it too a shop and have them flush it and recharge it.
Old 06-05-2011, 08:47 PM
Banned

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Post #2 in this thread. I suggest going new from the dealer. BUT thats if they offer a lifetime PARTS and LABOR warranty like mine did. You will never pay for another A/C compressor again, or the new parts they put in.

https://ls1tech.com/forums/general-m...+%24700-%24800

Old 06-06-2011, 04:32 PM
On The Tree

Damn seems like were all in the same boat. as soon as the heat hits huh?

My AC wont blow cold so i tried getting the AC charged but the mechanic said the AC compressor wouldnt take in any freon. It wont blow anything close to cold. Read a few threads but didnt find the "right answer" yet. The compressor is getting 12 volts. And the clutch isnt engaging. Anyway we can replace the clutch coils on these compressors with a puller? or anyone have any ideas on what might else be wrong?? Car only has 37,000 miles on it thanks and sorry for jacking the thread for a hot second, no need to keep making new AC threads

Last edited by sasquatch094; 06-06-2011 at 04:55 PM.
Old 06-06-2011, 11:42 PM
Teching In

My AC has been out sense i bought my car about 3 years ago. I took it to a shop and they fixed 2 leaks in my hoses and it worked for about a week, then it just stoped and i took it back in and they told me that my compressor was shot. so when a buddy deleted his AC i bought everything off him (compressor/lines/dryer/condenser) for $75. I was really just wondering how hard it is to replace the compressor and if there is anything important i need to know before trying to replace it.