General Maintenance & Repairs Leaks | Squeaks | Clunks | Rattles | Grinds

Belt squeek help

Search this Thread

Old 06-06-2011, 09:55 PM
TECH Resident

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Belt squeek help

so my swap started squeeking when i drive. ive changed pulleys and stuff but cant get rid of it permanent. I tried some brake grease on the underside of the belt (bibbed side) and itll go away for a while but come back. I want it to stop and need to know what to do.

if you need to know its a 5.3l with f-body accessories.
Old 06-06-2011, 09:58 PM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

its probably one of the idlers.. take them off one at a time and use a small flat tip optical screwdriver and pop off the bearing seal, pack it with lithium bearing grease. youre good to go...
Old 06-06-2011, 10:52 PM
TECH Resident

theyre all brand new and already tried that.
Old 06-06-2011, 11:51 PM
TECH Addict

tensioner spring? have you tried running it without the belt just to make sure its not in the balancer rubbing? had it happen on an older motor, not an ls
Old 06-07-2011, 12:13 AM
TECH Resident

yeah i tried it without the belt. sounds fine. to me it seems like as if maybe one of the pulleys is angled and little and the edge of the belt it rubbing on one of the ribs. its annoying and kinda embarrassing to drive.
Old 06-07-2011, 12:17 AM
TECH Addict

have you squirted the belt with wd40? can yo u see any wear on the edges of the belt or pully? i know the idler between the water pump and alternator on my ls1 was put on crooked at one time, dont ask me how he did it. just look for discoloration of the belt and maybe it will lead you in the right direction...I hate squeaks.. seriously.. no matter how nice your ride is.. if it squeals or smokes, it will get no respect
Old 06-07-2011, 12:30 AM
TECH Resident

well i just put a new belt on today to see if that would fix it (was warrantied). ill have to take a look it this whole thing a little better tomorrow. see if the brake grease that i put on there wears off.
Old 06-07-2011, 07:57 PM
Teching In

I replaced the idler pulley, which brought the annoying squeek down , but didn't remove it completely. Had my old belt, installed that and the squeek was gone.
Old 06-07-2011, 09:29 PM
TECH Resident

ok well the tensioner, waterpump, idler, crank, power steering pump pulley and belt are all new. i dont have an old belt to try although i thought about that too and was goin to ask my buddy to stop by. i did find something interesting today. when i was lookin at the alternator (sound seemed to come from around there) i saw that when it starts to squeel the pulley gets glossy. i have a little video but its kinda hard to see but you can see it get shiny.

alright my buddy is goin to come over in a bit to try it.

anyways heres the video.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=38OF5_Qggpg
Old 06-07-2011, 10:19 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by RPD_Vette84
ok well the tensioner, waterpump, idler, crank, power steering pump pulley and belt are all new. i dont have an old belt to try although i thought about that too and was goin to ask my buddy to stop by. i did find something interesting today. when i was lookin at the alternator (sound seemed to come from around there) i saw that when it starts to squeel the pulley gets glossy. i have a little video but its kinda hard to see but you can see it get shiny.

alright my buddy is goin to come over in a bit to try it.
sounds like a crappy bearing to me.. same as mine, it ended up being the one on the passenger side below the water pump.. the black plastic junk lookin one... at least thats the way it is on my LS1 i assume its the same on your 5.3
Old 06-07-2011, 11:46 PM
TECH Resident

tried my buddies used belt and its still there. think its the bearing on the alternator goin out or the pulley is messed up.
Old 06-08-2011, 06:48 AM
Launching!

I am currently going through the same thing with a phantom squeek. It sounds like it is coming from the driver side of the engine, and in the process have changed the idler and power steering pump. It has toned it down but has not totally fixed it. I really hope I dont end up replacing every accesory to find the problem.