General Maintenance & Repairs Leaks | Squeaks | Clunks | Rattles | Grinds

Overheating engine LS1

Search this Thread

Old 06-08-2011, 05:10 AM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Overheating engine LS1

On my way home from work this morning, I saw the check guages light come on and saw my engine was overheating. Pulled over immediately and checked out the coolant level, completely empty. So called a friend up, and he brought a few jugs of water. I put a jug of water in and it was completely filled up, the car sat long enough to reach normal temp 210. Turned it on to see if anything was leaking, and it wasn't. I drove close to 10 miles back home, and the car stayed at 210 the entire drive. While idling in my driveway I saw the guage start creeping up over 210 again so turned the car off, looked for leaks, none. The car is still warm so not going to pull the radiator cap off yet. But I checked the fluid in the fill cap, I saw it coming to the top when the car was off, and it was really cold to the touch, like it didn't cycle through the radiator or something. Another thing, the dip stick for the coolant had like a dirt or pollen on it, could something be clogged?
Old 06-09-2011, 12:39 AM
On The Tree

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

is the radiator fan switching on? I had gunk build up on my lt1 dipstick and i have it on my ls1 dipstick so i doubt that's the problem.
Old 06-09-2011, 01:05 AM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Yeah you can hear the fans turn on, even when they're on its starts overheating. Weird situation this is lol.
Old 06-09-2011, 01:08 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

bad leaky pump?
Old 06-09-2011, 11:29 AM
Save the manuals!

Received 322 Likes on 295 Posts

If you were one gallon down, you should pressure test the cooling system (easy to do and some shops will do it for free) and check the overflow tube to make sure it can hold pressure/vacuum between the radiator and overflow tank. If you don't have a leak, those two items will expose where the fluid is (or is not) going or if you have another problem.

Quick Reply: Overheating engine LS1