General Maintenance & Repairs Leaks | Squeaks | Clunks | Rattles | Grinds

spark plug wire not connecting to plug

Search this Thread

Old 06-08-2011, 08:09 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default spark plug wire not connecting to plug

so i found out the one wire was loose. I've tried to reconnect but it wont accept it and i dont hear the click. The plug is tight, MSD plug wires btw. could it be a problem with the boot?
Old 06-08-2011, 08:27 PM
Banned

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Make sure the end of the wire that snaps onto the tip of the plug has not collapsed. If it did, just stick an appropriately sized flat head screwdriver tip in it and widen it back open. I've had that happen before.

ALSO.....it may be opened up too large too. If so, crimp it closed so it will "click" onto the spark plug tip.

Old 06-09-2011, 04:41 PM
Teching In

My MSD wires were F*cking tough to get onto the plugs from the box. I had to put dielectric grease on all the ends, and use a old plug to press in and out of the wire outside the car kinda to loosen them up till i could get them on easily enough. Definatly look inside the boot to see if the connector is too wide or screwed up in anyway
Old 06-09-2011, 05:43 PM
TECH Apprentice

it was too wide, so i crimped it a bit and sure enough it snapped on.

Do you think i should replace it anytime soon? i've had this intermittent pop/backfire when hiting the gas from a stop/slow roll. sometimes while cruising ~40-50 and i accelerate a little more it pops and studders. would this be the culprit?