General Maintenance & Repairs Leaks | Squeaks | Clunks | Rattles | Grinds

key fob question

Search this Thread

Old 06-08-2011, 10:19 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default key fob question

Ok so when I bought my car the previous owner [who was a super douche] did not include any extra keys or fobs. All I got was the ignition key! I still need to get a door lock key made up.

Anyway, is there an easy way to tell if the car is supposed to have a fob? If so, how can I determine if I need to buy a 3 or 4 button version? Would I be able to give my VIN to a dealer and have them look it up? Just curious cause I wanted to snag up a fob to use. Thanks!
Old 06-08-2011, 10:42 PM
TECH Enthusiast

I would get one off ebay and just program it... Doesn't take more than 1-2 minutes and you can program up to 4 FOBs. If you take it to the dealer, I think they were charging $150 last time I checked. I think I paid $24.99 for mine and just programmed it myself. Works like a charm.

By the way, I see you're another LS6 swapper... love it.
Old 06-09-2011, 01:51 PM
On The Tree

Yeah I wasn't planning on buying the fob through the dealer. I just have to find out if my car came with one and whether it was a 3 or 4 button remote. Was planning on getting a used one or one on ebay.

Yeah man the ls6 swap was pretty easy. The car had a spun bearing when I bought it so I got an 04 ls6 crate and dropped it in. The rear end is howling so I haven't been able to get it on a dyno or anything yet but it's a lot quicker than my Cavalier hahaha. Hoping the rear issue is just axle bearings!
Old 06-09-2011, 02:04 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Look on the drivers side door for RPO AU0 (remote entry lock control).