General Maintenance & Repairs Leaks | Squeaks | Clunks | Rattles | Grinds

02 TA Problems

Search this Thread

Old 06-09-2011, 10:27 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 02 TA Problems

So a few weeks ago I purchased a 2002 WS6 w/ 67k miles on it. I knew the car had a few problems but not as many as have come up. The car has pretty much sat in a garage for the last 3 years. The previous owner put 11k miles on it the whole time he owned it. I took the car to Valmark Chevy in NB, TX and had them change the plugs, plug wires and a new oil change which got rid of having no power in 5th or 6th gear and the horrible shaking the stick shift would do @ WOT in both those gears. The dealership told me my car also threw codes for intake bank 1 & 2 running lean. Here is my current situtation:

1) When the car is started I get extremely thick whiteish/gray smoke that comes out of the exhaust for a good 5-7 seconds. It smells like buring oil to me and other people I have asked.

2) Pull the dipstick after running the car and a tiny smoke trail will rise from the tube.

3) Every now and then the car will idle at 1500 rpms then stop after I accelerate and come to a stop again.

I guess my question really is what could be throwing those codes and will fixing that one specific problem solve all my issues? Any advice would be welcomed.

Thanks!
Old 06-09-2011, 12:34 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Well if you're getting white smoke coming out of your exhaust on start up, you're probably leaking engine coolant into your motor, which could mean a blown head gasket. This would mean you have to replace those with new head gaskets, which means taking the heads off (if you didn't already know). I'm not sure what could be throwing those codes...but your biggest problem is that blown head gasket-get that fixed sooner rather than later to save yourself, hopefully, from bigger problems!
Old 06-09-2011, 12:44 PM
TECH Addict

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Id say 1st, clean your MAF with MAF cleaner....the burnt oil smell and smoke is probably dry/ bad valve seals from the car sitting for so long.

If you clean the MAF, and your still throwing codes then you can look at replacing the o2 sensors.....but id buy an $8 can of MAF cleaner and try that 1st before spending over $100 for o2s
Old 06-09-2011, 02:43 PM
Staging Lane

^^^ What he said.
Old 06-09-2011, 02:47 PM

@V68Sweep, I thought head gasket as well with the white smoke.. I've done a good bit of searching before posting, perhaps I have a few issues considering the codes as well. Question though, wouldn't the smell be somewhat sweet if there was coolant leaking and not more like burnt oil.

@mark21742, I'll def clean the MAF, I'm sure its filthy and go from there.

Thank you both for your input.
Old 06-09-2011, 06:18 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

as far as the idle issue goes, it almost sounds like a vaccume leak or maybe even an iac going bad. you can check your pcv system for leaks or a stuck valve.
Old 06-10-2011, 12:09 PM
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Intake is probably loose and the pcv hoses are cracked.....great dealer .......lean on bank 1 ans 2 and they don't know.....

Sounds like a local dealer here, I take my wifes car in and its pinging running like sheeet and the fuel trims are at +10%. They tell me everything is fine...........after three visits I finnally give up and check the car myself. THE FUEL FILTER WAS BLOCKED!

Don't waste your time at the dealer, YOU CAN **** YOUR CAR UP much cheaper than they will!
Old 06-10-2011, 09:02 PM
Banned

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by jwhet5483
So a few weeks ago I purchased a 2002 WS6 w/ 67k miles on it. I knew the car had a few problems but not as many as have come up. The car has pretty much sat in a garage for the last 3 years. The previous owner put 11k miles on it the whole time he owned it. I took the car to Valmark Chevy in NB, TX and had them change the plugs, plug wires and a new oil change which got rid of having no power in 5th or 6th gear and the horrible shaking the stick shift would do @ WOT in both those gears. The dealership told me my car also threw codes for intake bank 1 & 2 running lean. Here is my current situtation:

1) When the car is started I get extremely thick whiteish/gray smoke that comes out of the exhaust for a good 5-7 seconds. It smells like buring oil to me and other people I have asked.

2) Pull the dipstick after running the car and a tiny smoke trail will rise from the tube.

3) Every now and then the car will idle at 1500 rpms then stop after I accelerate and come to a stop again.

I guess my question really is what could be throwing those codes and will fixing that one specific problem solve all my issues? Any advice would be welcomed.

Thanks!
Wait.

Do you leave a long trail of WHITE/BLUISH smoke when you nail the throttle from a steady cruising speed of say 50mph?

IF YES......your valve seals in your head(s) are bad.

If the WHITE/BLUISH smoke is ALWAYS there under every throttle level and rpm......your ring(s) are bad.

Coolant getting through to the exhaust will be bluish in color and have ZERO oil smell. You will almost certainly have an overheating problem....OR a reoccurring low coolant issue.

What codes do you have?????

Old 06-11-2011, 05:19 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 215 Likes on 176 Posts

check the entire PCV hose......the rubber just does not last 10 yrs......a vacuum leak would make you run lean
Old 06-14-2011, 11:32 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

any updates?