General Maintenance & Repairs Leaks | Squeaks | Clunks | Rattles | Grinds

Rear end vibration due to exhaust?

Search this Thread

Old 06-14-2011, 09:09 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Default Rear end vibration due to exhaust?

i have a 01 ss and when i had my borla catback installed about a year ago i had slight vibration in the rear end enough to shake the car at around 65-70 mph. i noticed whenever you let off the gas completly at these speeds the vibration ceases immediatly but as soon as you put pressure back donw on the pedal it comes back. took it to a goodyear center and they said they think its becasue my catback is mounted too close or too high and being so close to the frame is what is casueing it, saying that if i lowered my exhaust it would casue it to go away. asking if anyone has seen this before and if this guys claims are true or not.
Old 06-15-2011, 05:45 AM
TECH Resident

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Exhaust touching the frame or body will give a vibration, but it will not shake the car. The process of fixing your exhaust, if that's the trouble is going to any shop with a rack and have them stuff a big f-ing prybar where it's touching and bend it out of the way. I see you have a UMI torque arm. The crossmember area where the Y merges is where it's probably touching and will sound like it's coming from the rear end.