General Maintenance & Repairs Leaks | Squeaks | Clunks | Rattles | Grinds

AC questions

Search this Thread

Old 06-16-2011, 08:46 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default AC questions

Ok so ive been wondering about if the ac puts stress on the engine or when its boiling hot out does it effect how the engine runs, temp, etc. I want to know this because ive just started a new job and its about 20 miles and its blistering hot out and i have to be dressed. I havent had the ac working since ive gotten the car, it was charged once and worked for about 5 days then gradually got hot. Alot of the time im sitting in stop and go traffic and always worried about the car getting too hot, ive had a tune to turn the fans on sooner and need to change the thermostat to a 160. So im just wondering would the ac put an added stress on the engine and how it runs? Also should i be worried about the car getting really hot?
Old 06-16-2011, 08:52 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

a/c does put more stress on a weak cooling system...as long as your coolant/water pump/radiator are in working order you should be fine...i mean they were supposed to run together from factory
Old 06-16-2011, 09:11 PM
Banned

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Yes, turning the A/c on puts added stress on the enigne....but its so little it should be meaningless.

So....here's what you and the entire A/C LOVING world needs to know.......

CONDENSORS MUST BE CLEANED.

WE.....F-Body owners MUST clean our condensors every TWO YEARS.......AT MINIMUM.

If you don't.....debris and other crap will get blasted up into the front surface of the condensor and STOP the normal airflow through it. THAT it turn kills the air flow through the radiator that ultimately allows the engine itself to be cooled properly. If the air that get blasted up through condensor via the air dam is going through the air dam then up through the half-way blocked "HOT" condensor.......what do you think is going through the radiator next??????

HOT AIR. Or at least much hotter air then a radiator is supposed to get through it. THIS is what causes an engine to get HOT before it should. The fans during city/traffic driving or no fans being "on" during highway speeds.......should be sufficient for all cooling.

When the condensor is dirty....there is no possible way you can run cool in city/traffic driving. On the highway....no problem, because the blast of air is sufficient.

Clean the condensor. Or replace it every 2-3 years.

End of story.

Just read this:
https://ls1tech.com/forums/general-m...bably-why.html

AND....in the thread I say that I BANG the condensor against a piece of wood. DO NOT DO THIS. Its too cheap to have the refridgerant sucked out, then you remove all the parts. Have them cleaned at a professional shot. And reinstall.

You will run cool........

Good luck..........