General Maintenance & Repairs Leaks | Squeaks | Clunks | Rattles | Grinds

snapped my belt HELP

Search this Thread

Old 06-19-2011, 09:04 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Default snapped my belt HELP

ok so i went to go start my car just now and it barely started it ran for a sec then there was a loud snap then a ping and the car started running fine so i shut it off and it started to smoke! i popped the hood and found that the belt snapped . it is the belt that runs on the back of the crankshaft and come up to the pulleys on the left. any idea of how much it would cost to replace that?
Old 06-19-2011, 09:07 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 215 Likes on 176 Posts

belt...about 10$......pay for someone to do it.......priceless
Old 06-19-2011, 09:14 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

It sounds to me like you may have one of the accessories locked up on motor. You need to try to hand spin everything that you can. the only component you cant check is the ac compressor. if something will not turn them thats you real problem. as far as cost if itd the one for the ac only figure a hundred for parts and labor at a shop
Old 06-19-2011, 09:39 PM
TECH Enthusiast

im sorry if i sound like a noob, but its gonna be the ac belt that had snapped i just went out to double check, i hand spun the pulleys and they spin fine they are nice and tight and aren wobbling so my next question is how hard is it to replace it?
Old 06-19-2011, 10:07 PM
On The Tree

Its pretty easy man. No worries.

Here is a thread

https://ls1tech.com/forums/general-l...-belt-ls1.html

Here is a YouTube tutorial.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S2P2z_j6Ca8
Old 06-20-2011, 12:31 AM
Launching!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

If the AC belt was causing the car to not run or almost not run, then snapped, you have a problem down there. Replacing the belt is going to get you another snapped belt. You either have a bad ac belt tensioner, ac belt idler or the ac pulley itself is locked up.

Replacing the belts is simple, but in this case I'm gonna say you need to figure out which of those 3 items is bad then replace it if you want your AC to function.

Also, I'm not sure exactly what you meant about saying the pulleys are nice and tight. If you just mean they don't wobble, that's fine. If you also mean they don't spin freely and require effort to move, then that is likely a problem. They should not tick, click, scrape, grind or make any odd noises and should feel nice and smooth when you spin them.
Old 06-20-2011, 12:53 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Was the A/C switch in the "ON" position? Sounds like a siezed compressor. Hopefully it was just a really old belt.. They don't get much love, being hidden and all.
Old 06-20-2011, 09:17 AM
TECH Enthusiast

can i get away with not using an ac belt and just drive the car without one?, i never use the ac anyways and had planned on getting rid of it anyways just not sure if i need that belt for anything else besides the ac?
Old 06-20-2011, 09:26 AM
On The Tree

you can run without an ac belt with no problems. the only thing that belt is turn is the ac compressor
Old 06-20-2011, 12:11 PM
TECH Enthusiast

ok great thats prob what im gonna do the ac is coming out anyways, i appreciate all the help guys you were all very helpful.