General Maintenance & Repairs Leaks | Squeaks | Clunks | Rattles | Grinds

A/C experts, been replacing parts still not cold, help?

Search this Thread

Old 06-25-2011, 03:07 PM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default A/C experts, been replacing parts still not cold, help?

2001 pontiac trans am, 130k miles is the car I'll try to make a long story short, last summer a/c started making horrid noises started cycling on and off randomly and eventually took a dump completely...
Fast foreward to now, replaced compresser ONLY, had it vac'd and charged, was blowing down to 42* for one day, then just blew ambient temps after first day.
had it evacuated replaced orifice tube and accumulator, recharged with 1.8lbs. no cold blowing maybe just a little colder than ambient temps.
Pulled new orifice tube out already had some grey gunk on it, replaced it again recharged and nothing... same result

obviously there's some gunk in system still but how do i go about fixing this without replacing the condenser or evap if possible? and could i have fubared the new compresser or can that be cleaned or flushed somehow if need be? right now the guy i've been having vac and charge it is recommending replacing the compresser again? Right now i'm at $370 worth of parts and vac's/charge's doing the labor myself... what would the experts do next lol?
Old 06-25-2011, 03:49 PM
12 Second Club

sounds like everything needs to be disconnected and flushed out. Not surprising considering its a compressor failure. The orifice tube does a decent job of catching debris but its not made for that and cant catch everything.
Old 06-25-2011, 05:03 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

cant flush a conendsor tubes are to small. How do the pressures look?
Old 06-26-2011, 12:34 AM
Launching!

i think he said pressure on low side was staying too high around 75-80 at idle. The high side was reading 200 but he was saying the low side should drop letting pressure on the high side go up more...
Old 06-26-2011, 07:58 AM
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

i think he said pressure on low side was staying too high around 75-80 at idle. The high side was reading 200 but he was saying the low side should drop letting pressure on the high side go up more...
that would be correct. there is a restriction in the system. as the other guy said, you may need to replace the condensor to remove the restriction.
Old 06-26-2011, 10:18 AM
Launching!

Originally Posted by 71novaguy
that would be correct. there is a restriction in the system. as the other guy said, you may need to replace the condensor to remove the restriction.
Dammit didn't wanna drop $165 on a new condenser. How about the evap do those get plugged up frequently?
also what my guy said was one of the reeds in the new compresser maybe stuck open from gunk already whats the likely hood of that and is that cleanable?
So a condenser cant be cleaned, even with solvents ect?
Old 06-26-2011, 10:32 AM
Launching!

You can clean the outside of it and see if that helps. If you do flush it then make sure you do it good because it can loosen stuff inside it up and get that in your system. New condensor is the best thing to do. Also over charging doesnt really help it can hurt sometimes. I played with mine a little bit and it blew coldest with the recommended 1.5lbs. Also if your compressor went out you may wanna replace the drier/accumulator. Hope that helps.