General Maintenance & Repairs Leaks | Squeaks | Clunks | Rattles | Grinds

turn signal problem

Search this Thread

Old 06-26-2011, 02:45 PM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default turn signal problem

ive got a 96 z28 and everytime i signal Left, it will work fine, but it wont turn off after the turn. I have move the signal bak to the center position to cut the signal. It works perfect when i signal right, but only when i signal left, it gets stuck.
Not a major problem but everyonce in a while, ill forget to return the signal and ill be signaling left for a while.

Anyone know where to start to fix this or a solution?
Also the High beams dont work properly. I have to pull the lever way back and when it clicks, the high beams stay on. So i never use the high beams, but im guessing the problems are related. All other lights and electronics work fine, its just those two.

Any ideas??
Old 06-26-2011, 11:03 PM
TECH Addict

so im going to remove the steering wheel sometime next week and check the turn signal cancel springs. I heard those go out after a while and my car is almost hitting the 200k mark.
Anyone else have any ideas?? or similar problem
Old 06-27-2011, 09:40 AM
Save the manuals!

Received 322 Likes on 295 Posts

Not related. The first IS a broken cancel spring. I've had cars where it was also a worn cam, but the springs are much more common. Regardless, while you are in there, you should lubricate the switch with white lithium grease, replace the springs, and replace the cam. That should get you set for another 80K or so miles.

The second is probably an issue with the high beam switch at the base of the column but I'm not sure what the problem is if your high beams come on. If you can't shut them off, do you drive around with your high beams on all the time.
Old 06-27-2011, 12:32 PM
TECH Addict

Cool, do you know where i can find a diagram of the steering column? Im not sure where all the parts are at.
And kinda, the high beams wont turn on unless you pull the lever really far back. After the click, they get stuck on and ill have to drive with them on. I think i had to bang on the steering column to shut them off. I havent tried using them since.
Old 06-27-2011, 12:49 PM
Save the manuals!

Just search....

This thread will have all the info you need. Steps 17-20 will be of most interest to you. https://ls1tech.com/forums/general-m...mn-repair.html

The high beam lever in the column actuates a rod that travels down the column and sockets in to the high beam switch. You can access the switch by removing the lower IP panel and you'll see it attached to the outside of the column and can observe where the metal rod sockets in to the switch.
Old 06-27-2011, 01:56 PM
TECH Addict

Thanks for the write-up link. Ill try to tackle this problem this weekend. Meanwhile, ill buy the cancel springs to have everything ready.
Old 06-27-2011, 02:04 PM
Save the manuals!

You should get a cam also. The springs wear grooves in the cam lobes. The job is a total PITA and its worth the extra $3.50 to replace the cam so you don't have to go digging in there next year.

Also, you will want to lubricate the turn signal mechanism. (The white plastic parts that move across each other.) The feel in the turn signal will be night/day.