General Maintenance & Repairs Leaks | Squeaks | Clunks | Rattles | Grinds

intermittent trouble starting

Search this Thread

Old 06-27-2011, 10:29 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default intermittent trouble starting

alright guys, i figured this would be the best place to try to trouble shoot something before i go insane. i have an 01 Z with a P1SC procharger kit on it with 39xxx miles on it. the problem i'm having is that every so often, i'll go to start the car and it will just sit there and crank and crank and crank. but if i turn the key off and then cycle it back and fourth letting the fuel pump kick in anywhere from 1-10 times, it usually fires right up. usually. sometimes i've been left sitting in a parking lot forever trying to get it to start. then other times it cranks right on the first try. i look at my fuel pressure gauge and i'm getting good pressure, usually anywhere from 50-60 psi. the only other thing that might help is that anytime that i wash the car or god forbid get caught in the rain, the engine bogs down for a while, throwing my service engine soon light flashing in my face. the only logical explination i could come up with is that my air filter being so low is getting wet and isnt able to suck enough air through to make a good mixture, and with a shitty air filter would explain why it is so hard to start sometimes. has anybody ever dealt with something like this?

update today, i changed the air filter, and it definately was in desperate need of a new one, but same thing. i started it 3 times just fine back to back. then the 4th time shut the car off, turned the ignition right back on, and it just cranked and cranked.

HELP!
Old 07-07-2011, 05:41 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

bumpity bump