General Maintenance & Repairs Leaks | Squeaks | Clunks | Rattles | Grinds

New belt squealing, possibly bad tensioner?

Old 06-28-2011, 08:27 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default New belt squealing, possibly bad tensioner?

I have a 98 Z28 with 160k on it. The belt was pretty worn so I replaced it and the squeal I had before went away for a couple weeks. Now I have a different kind of squeal, it's not a steady squeak, rather sort of random, but still a few squeaks every second. I can see the belt tensioner move a little bit when it is idling (is that normal?) and when driving, the higher the rpm, the more frequent the squeak. However, when the car is idling and I tighten the tensioner with a wrench, the squeak gets louder. Any help would be greatly appreciated!!
Old 06-28-2011, 08:43 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 214 Likes on 175 Posts

bad bearings in the pulley and or tensioner
Old 06-29-2011, 01:30 PM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

You know what works for me (and my dad taught me this, among other things.) Turn you car on and spray some WD40 on the tensioner itsel shile its running. Dont spray too much, you`ll only need a little bit to seap into the bearings on the tensioner. If the weird noise goes away...then you`ll know its your tensior. Pretty simple procedure, but get the WD40 can with the straw on it so you can get nice and close to the tensioner without getting to close and the belt takes your hand away lol
Old 06-29-2011, 01:35 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Take bar of soap.. while car is on carefully rub onto both sides of belt. If it goes away its belt.

I have had 1 week old belts squeel.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: New belt squealing, possibly bad tensioner?