General Maintenance & Repairs Leaks | Squeaks | Clunks | Rattles | Grinds

Bad TPS 3 in a row????????????

Search this Thread

Old 07-01-2011, 11:46 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Bad TPS 3 in a row????????????

Ok so i replaced my tps sensor because the spring broke on my stock one and it did fine until i l left for the power tour it started to have a high idle then when i got to indy and it started to over heat and run even worse so i put a scanner on it and it said i was having 36 degrees of timing at idle so i unplugged it and the idle went back down,stopped over heating and went from 18mpg to 23-25mpg.It also had to two cylinder misfire codes and a maf code but ran fine after unplugging the tps.

So today i put on another tps (both from napa) and a new maf and it still is doing the same thing and still throwing two codes(both for tps) but everything else is gone and she runs like a rapped ape but it still has a 1500 rpm idle when it wants to then it goes to 750-800 out of the blue.The only thing i can think of is that i need to go to a gm tps sensor since ive had aftermarket sensors on other cars do funny things once installed and i had to get gm parts to clear it up.Please any help would be great thanks Charles
Old 07-02-2011, 01:26 PM
Save the manuals!

Received 322 Likes on 295 Posts

what codes are they?
Old 07-02-2011, 03:51 PM
TECH Enthusiast

One said low voltage tps and the other i dont remember the exact words but they were both tps codes
Old 07-02-2011, 10:48 PM
Save the manuals!

Received 322 Likes on 295 Posts

Without the specific codes, a magician is the only person who can help. A low voltage code for a TPS can either be the sensor or the wiring connecting to it. The other codes would help narrow things down a bit.

The TPS is a pretty basic sensor. Its very unlikely your problem is one with the sensor itself.

Are you sure a spring broke in your TPS? I've replaced mine before and don't recall a spring.
Old 10-13-2011, 11:29 PM
Teching In

99 ss camaro..mine is doing the exact same thing except overheating... no clue ive tried everything... plugs, wires, MAF, TPS, coolant sensor, fuses, fuel pump, injectors, fuel rail, throttle body, o2sensors, even replaced the computer...i beleive the codes are s122 and s124? to the best of my memory which are tps and app sensor any help here would be greatly appreciated
Old 10-14-2011, 11:39 PM
wrencher

There is an internal return spring to keep the TPS engagement lug tight to the throttle shaft end.
A modded throttle body can let the throttle stop overextend & damage the TPS.
Not very common though...

There's lots of reasons for TPS high/low volt codes, man times no fault of the TPS.
Any other codes along with TP ones?

Quick Reply: Bad TPS 3 in a row????????????