General Maintenance & Repairs Leaks | Squeaks | Clunks | Rattles | Grinds

Replace Front Strut mounts?

Search this Thread

Old 07-02-2011, 06:08 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Replace Front Strut mounts?

I am totaly redoing my suspension on my 1995 Z28, including springs and struts.
When I took the struts to my mecahnic to swap out the upper strut mounts and put them on the new springs and struts he suggested I replace the mounts as well. He said why replace the whole suspension and have the new springs squeek in the old strut mounts.

The new mounts are about $100 for the pair with 2 day shipping from rockauto.com
Is this a worthwhile replacement? Is an upper strut mount a wearable part?

BTW, this car is going to be my daily driver at least until the LT1 dies...

Then it gets a Escalade engine

Last edited by kenx12; 07-02-2011 at 06:15 AM.
Old 07-02-2011, 10:03 AM
Banned

YES. most of the time they fall apart when you remove them. look at KYB or Moog from one of the sponsors
Old 07-02-2011, 08:51 PM
TECH Enthusiast

yes get them , i replaced mine a about 2 months ago. there were rusted to my shocks. it took me hours to get them loose, and they ended up being torn up. i used gm mounts for mine but im sure those others will work fine.
Old 07-03-2011, 07:15 PM

Thank you both.

I took your advice and I went ahead and ordered them. No sense going cheap on this when I replaced everything else.

If I have 1.8" drop springs does anyone know if the springs still need to be compressed to be mounted on the struts?

Also has anyone ever replaced the rack bellow on the passenger side of the steering rack?

The drivers side of the rack has a tapered end so I was able to work the bellow on to the rack with a small amount of effort. The passenger side of the rack has no taper and there is no way to work it on because the edge of the boot just plows into the edge of the rack.
Anyone ever dealt with this? Anyone have a solution?

I am trying to streatch out the bellow by pushing it down as far as I can on a tapered spray bottle, hoping that I can get it streached out enough to fit over the edge.

Every thing else has been relatively easy... figures I would get stuck on something so stupid.

Quick Reply: Replace Front Strut mounts?