General Maintenance & Repairs Leaks | Squeaks | Clunks | Rattles | Grinds

Can someone please identify this for me .....

Search this Thread

Old 07-03-2011, 12:40 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 31 Likes on 22 Posts

Default Can someone please identify this for me .....

Just bought this 2000 SS. Going thru the whole car, came across this cleaning the engine bay. Looks and rattles like a PCV valve. Theres a blocked off port on the intake mani, is this where this goes? Why might this be disconnected, didnt bother asking the owner, as he didnt do his own work on the car as fars as maintenence and mods go. The car drives and runs seemingly perfect, though does have a few emissions related codes. Any help would be killer...thanks.

Last edited by LT4vert; 07-03-2011 at 12:55 PM.
Old 07-03-2011, 02:26 PM
TECH Fanatic

**edit** After a little digging, this car did recieve a LS6 intake and cam. Going off the sticky in this forum, it appears to have been converted to the LS6 valley cover as well. If thats the case, I should be correct in assuming the blocked off port in the pic above is where the PCV does go ?
Old 07-03-2011, 02:49 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Yes it looks like an LS6 manifold (no EGR port) and that is the PCV you have in your hand, and you should have a massive vacume leak if it's just lying in the engine bay, it should be connected between the back of the throttle body (vacume ) and the valley cover (if LS6 ) conversion has been done!
If I were you I would NEVER wash an LS1 with water, the water runs underneath the manifold and seeps into the knock sensor cavities (the boots leak) the knock sensors rust away and ground out, and you will have all sorts of problems and have to remove the intake and replace them.
Take it from experience !!!!
Old 07-03-2011, 03:04 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 215 Likes on 176 Posts

there are 2 styles of LS6 valley covers......1 uses a PCV ......the other does not......but both styles have the hose from the nipple on the valley cover going to the nipple on the intake.......easy fix......the intake nipple is the 1 that is blocked off in the pic....you will need some extra hose from the PCV to the intake nipple
Old 07-03-2011, 05:39 PM
TECH Fanatic

Thanks guys, thats exactly what I was thinkin. Easy to remedy. Im finding all kinds of little things with this car, stupid easy fix stuff, but damn. There was a vacum leak at the rear too, as the HVAC tube was not hooked up either.

On the water, I didnt spray any directly at the manifold, I had a spray bottle with distilled water and compressed air. Thanks for the tip though.
Old 07-03-2011, 06:15 PM
TECH Addict

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Those knock sensors are about $50 apeice too, not including the connecting wire/s(which is usually needed with replacement, and somewhat hard to find). Whatever it takes to keep the water out, good idea.
Old 07-06-2011, 10:02 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

on a side note, also consider making sure the car is tuned since he swapped the intake and cam.

Hope all goes well