General Maintenance & Repairs Leaks | Squeaks | Clunks | Rattles | Grinds

Squeal with the AC turned OFF?

Search this Thread

Old 07-05-2011, 06:51 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Squeal with the AC turned OFF?

I have a 2001 Z06 and there's a squealing noise all the time when the AC is OFF. Sounds like the typical belt chirp. However, when I turn on the AC, it goes away. Any idea to what may be causing this?
Previous owner said it's the compressor clutch. That doesn't sound right to me because I had a bad compressor clutch on my TA and it made a metal grinding noise all the time with the AC on or off.

Any help is appreciated,
Thanks.

Last edited by adham; 07-06-2011 at 10:40 PM.
Old 07-05-2011, 06:59 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Yup, it's the compressor clutch. My Camaro has the same problem. One of these days I'll get it fixed...
Old 07-05-2011, 07:05 PM
Staging Lane

But why would the sound go away when the AC is on? I read somewhere that it might be a tensioner pulley or something.
Old 07-05-2011, 07:17 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by adham
But why would the sound go away when the AC is on? I read somewhere that it might be a tensioner pulley or something.
Because the clutch is engaged when the AC is on. When the AC is off the clutch is dragging, causing the squealing sound.
Old 07-05-2011, 07:22 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by Latch
Because the clutch is engaged when the AC is on. When the AC is off the clutch is dragging, causing the squealing sound.
hmmm makes sense. Not what I wanna here
thanks for the help
Old 07-05-2011, 07:37 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by adham
hmmm makes sense. Not what I wanna here
thanks for the help
There's a write-up somewhere here on how to fix it yourself. You just need a special tool to pull the compressor clutch. I'm sure a GM dealer will try to charge you $800+ to install a whole new compressor, but that's entirely unnecessary. Do a search and you should come across a how-to.
Old 07-05-2011, 07:52 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by Latch
There's a write-up somewhere here on how to fix it yourself. You just need a special tool to pull the compressor clutch. I'm sure a GM dealer will try to charge you $800+ to install a whole new compressor, but that's entirely unnecessary. Do a search and you should come across a how-to.
I'll probably end up replacing the whole compressor while I'm at it. This is the thread I was referring to earlier. Any chance I might be having this problem? Maybe you too?
https://ls1tech.com/forums/general-m...-off-only.html
Old 07-06-2011, 03:30 PM
Staging Lane

MAybe yall can help me.. I posted a thread and no longer see it... my A/C wasn't blowing very cold so we get some r-134a with a gauge and fill it up (yes we know what we are doing). Prior to this my compressor would occasionally make noises click on/off and I would have the "pulley squeak" that has magically stopped. Well the other night it started sounding like I had a supercharger on my car, so I turned it off. Last night a/c clicks on and off and causes the car to surge. I pull over and release pressure out of the A/C and seems to do the trick. Today the A/C isn't making noises, so I think problems fixed, NOPE! Halfway to a job interview the A/C starts blowing hot and the compressor won't kick on. I then tried to release some more pressure, thinking that was the problem and now it has what looking like antifreeze coming out. Im thinking the compressor is shot, compressor clutch gone? Also why the hell would antifreeze be in the A/c?

ideas before i buy a new compressor or should I just take it somewhere and have them check it out?
Old 07-06-2011, 10:30 PM
Staging Lane

Ttt
I appreciate the help, just would like a second opinion.
Thanks again

Quick Reply: Squeal with the AC turned OFF?