General Maintenance & Repairs Leaks | Squeaks | Clunks | Rattles | Grinds

question about buying a power steering pump

Search this Thread

Old 07-06-2011, 09:53 AM
TECH Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default question about buying a power steering pump

Mine is leaking and I need a new one. The pump itself without a reservoir is 50 bucks, and WITH a reservoir is 100. Id love to save myself some money and get the one without, but how hard is it to transfer the reservoir from the old to the new? would it be worth just getting the new one with a reservoir??
Old 07-06-2011, 02:16 PM
TECH Regular

?????
Old 07-06-2011, 06:52 PM
On The Tree

I changed my pump at 103k and just replaced only the pump. Reused the reservoir and works well.
Old 07-07-2011, 09:04 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 215 Likes on 176 Posts

i am lazy...i would get the reservoir
Old 07-07-2011, 11:19 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

You may be able to replace the front seal on the pump. My pump was leaking and that is what I did and it fixed it just fine. The seal was about 7 or 8 bucks. If you buy a new pump it is not that big a deal to swap the reservoir from the old one to the new one. There are a couple of clips on each side that hold the reservoir on. But if it was me and the leak was from the front seal I would just put a new seal in it.

PS Keep in mind that no matter which way that you decide to go that you are going to have to pull the pulley off of the pump. You will have to have a tool (puller) that takes off the pulley and then pulls it back on the shaft of the pump. Been there done that.

PSS Pumps do not usually go bad. They may leak but that does not mean the pump is bad. Beside the hoses there are only 2 places where they can leak. The front seal on the shaft and the seal between the pump and the reservoir. Both are not hard to replace and a whole lot cheeper than buying another pump. In most cases you are buying a rebuilt pump. If you change out your power steering fluid and keep nice clean fluid in the reservoir you will be surprised at how long a pump will last. I have put over 230,000 miles on one before.

Last edited by slt200mph; 07-08-2011 at 06:21 AM.
Old 07-07-2011, 12:47 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Pulling the reservoir off is pretty easy. If I remember right, it's just a push fit with an o-ring and two small metal clips you can pop off with a screwdriver.
Old 07-08-2011, 01:47 AM
TECH Regular

Awesome.. preciate it guys
Old 07-08-2011, 02:08 PM
Save the manuals!

Received 322 Likes on 295 Posts

Are you sure its leaking??? A lot of times its the tank overflowing, which looks like the pump is leaking. Changing the fluid should fix that issue.

Switching out the tank is easy as long as you have a new pump to tank seal. (Make sure the new pump comes with one!)
Old 07-08-2011, 02:39 PM
Staging Lane

^^^^ check this... I have the overflow issue in mine, alot of people I know do, looks like a leak, but is actually the stock unit built like sh*t as to most of the stuff on our cars.. the pump basically superheats the fluid, causing it to boil out over the top.. if you do get a new one, search around and go aftermarket, low temp.. wish I could remember the last post about this I saw, had install and advice... may want to google it..
Old 07-09-2011, 08:53 AM
Save the manuals!

Received 322 Likes on 295 Posts

Originally Posted by Cwillits505
^^^^ check this... I have the overflow issue in mine, alot of people I know do, looks like a leak, but is actually the stock unit built like sh*t as to most of the stuff on our cars.. the pump basically superheats the fluid, causing it to boil out over the top.. if you do get a new one, search around and go aftermarket, low temp.. wish I could remember the last post about this I saw, had install and advice... may want to google it..
The pump is a very durable and great unit. The challenge is physics and the tradeoff that is used in the selection of the internals.

The stock unit provides excess pressure at high speeds, which allows for good slow speed control but very hot fluid when the engine is up on the RPMs. The "cooler" racing pumps are set for higher speed operation and consequently are tough to use in low speed city driving.

I had TurnOne do a stock rebuild on my pump, which has been great. They also provide racing models.

Clean fluid makes all the difference on the stock pump and enhanced cooling will keep things going well once the fluid starts getting dirty again.