General Maintenance & Repairs Leaks | Squeaks | Clunks | Rattles | Grinds

A/C took a !@#$ on me!!

Search this Thread

Old 07-06-2011, 01:02 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default A/C took a !@#$ on me!!

So my A/C wasn't blowing very cold so we get some r-134a with a gauge and fill it up. Prior to this my compressor would occasionally make noises click on/off. Well the other night it started sounding like I had a supercharger on my car, so I turned it off. Last night a/c clicks on and off and causes the car to surge. I pull over and release A LOT of pressure out of the A/C. Today ON MY WAY TO A JOB INTERVIEW the A/C isn't making noises, so I think problems fixed, NOPE! Half to to the interview (in 100 texas heat) the A/C starts blowing hot and the compressor won't kick on. I then tried to release some more pressure, thinking that was the problem and now it has what looking like antifreeze coming out in the color of this guy . Im thinking the compressor is shot, ideas?
Old 07-06-2011, 02:28 PM
Staging Lane

Normally when the compressor clicks on and off it mean the system is low on refrigerant, but did you put the correct amount in when you re filled it. To much or not enough will damage the system. The proper way to do it is to have gauges for the high and low side pressures in the system, and put the system under a vacuum before the refrigerant is added.
Old 07-06-2011, 03:35 PM
Staging Lane

yeah, well with the gauge from the can. I know, I know. We have done this on cars many of times and never have had an issue. So maybe I had too much and the gauge SUCKED, and then took too much out "by eye". Ill just take it somewhere tomorrow for $56 drop it off and see whats going on.