General Maintenance & Repairs Leaks | Squeaks | Clunks | Rattles | Grinds

New Oil Pressure Sensor - Pressure way higher?

Old 07-06-2011, 05:32 PM
TECH Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default New Oil Pressure Sensor - Pressure way higher?

First off the original broke because I had to take of the intake. But now with the new one its way higher. Im not sure its accurate due to this and that its also a Duralast.

Old one: Cold idle 45, hot idle 30ish, and would really fluctuate with throttle. It would go up to 45ish under rev and go right back to the minimum.

New one: Cold idle about 65, hot idle 55, and would go from 55 to 60 on throttle. Does not fluctuate fast.

My car has about 235,XXX MILES! I dont see how my pressure could be anywhere near that good.

What do you guys think? TIA
Old 07-07-2011, 10:56 AM
TECH Resident

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I've been told from a GM engine builder that these gauges in are car are about as accurate as licking your finger and putting it up in the air to see wind direction. Actually that's probably more accurate. He's told me in the past, as long as it's somewhere in the middle, call it good. LOL. But seriously, these gauges more than likely are just measuring resistance values. Those values are going to be slightly off or different from one sensor to the next. That's why calibrated gauges are necessary in the testing fields. I'm in testing, so that's why I say this. Idon't think I'd worry about it.
Old 07-07-2011, 09:44 PM
TECH Fanatic

I'll bet its the Duralast sensor. Every sensor I get from them is junk. I highly doubt your actually running 55 psi at a hot idle. That would not be a good thing.
Old 07-08-2011, 12:07 AM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by FiredUpZ28
I'll bet its the Duralast sensor. Every sensor I get from them is junk. I highly doubt your actually running 55 psi at a hot idle. That would not be a good thing.
Yep, it is indeed a Duralast. I didnt think it mattered because I read somewhere they are all made at the same place. I checked the BDM sensor from advance and it said Mexico as well. Not sure if same place, but...

Why would that be a bad thing?
Old 07-08-2011, 12:09 AM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by LS14EVR
I've been told from a GM engine builder that these gauges in are car are about as accurate as licking your finger and putting it up in the air to see wind direction. Actually that's probably more accurate. He's told me in the past, as long as it's somewhere in the middle, call it good. LOL. But seriously, these gauges more than likely are just measuring resistance values. Those values are going to be slightly off or different from one sensor to the next. That's why calibrated gauges are necessary in the testing fields. I'm in testing, so that's why I say this. Idon't think I'd worry about it.
Good to know, but I want accuracy after paying 60 damned bucks
Old 07-08-2011, 11:37 AM
TECH Resident

You might want to look into a aftermarket one then. Not sure if they are any better though. Never really checked them out. Or if they just use the same sensor on the block and it's just a different gauge.
Old 07-10-2011, 01:43 AM
TECH Regular

Looks like its getting slightly lower and seems to respond better. I wonder if its just breaking in or something.
I would like to know why it was said that 50 - 55 psi would be a problem.
Old 07-10-2011, 09:44 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by nimrod.sixty9
Yep, it is indeed a Duralast. I didnt think it mattered because I read somewhere they are all made at the same place. I checked the BDM sensor from advance and it said Mexico as well. Not sure if same place, but...

Why would that be a bad thing?
55 psi of actual oil pressure at idle would make me think you have a clogged oil passage. Normally it wouldn't be a bad idea to get your hands on an external oil pressure gauge just for peace of mind. However, the jump happened directly after a sensor swap so I don't think you have anything to worry about.

LS14Ever is right though, the guages in these cars aren't known for accuracy. Especially fuel level and oil pressure. Volts for some reason they can get right...
Old 07-10-2011, 11:26 AM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by FiredUpZ28
55 psi of actual oil pressure at idle would make me think you have a clogged oil passage. Normally it wouldn't be a bad idea to get your hands on an external oil pressure gauge just for peace of mind. However, the jump happened directly after a sensor swap so I don't think you have anything to worry about.

LS14Ever is right though, the guages in these cars aren't known for accuracy. Especially fuel level and oil pressure. Volts for some reason they can get right...
I think it's because it's volts to volts. Meaning these gauges should just be reading a voltage input. So there is no conversion on the voltage gauge. But the others require one. I'm just guessing on this one.

OP, now this is a huge guess, but maybe, just maybe they do a self calibration so to speak after a few start stops. I doubt it, but they might.
Old 07-10-2011, 11:36 AM
TECH Fanatic

i've replaced mine twice... its just the aftermarket sensor that does it. I've seen multiple people with the same problem... nothing bad, just reads off a little.
Old 07-10-2011, 01:11 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Are the AC/Delco sensors the same way?
Old 07-10-2011, 01:20 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by guy7bmwm83
Are the AC/Delco sensors the same way?
Yep, thats what I have... you'll get used to it mine did break again after a year but warranty covered it from Autozone.

Search this Thread