General Maintenance & Repairs Leaks | Squeaks | Clunks | Rattles | Grinds

Find when my car was made

Search this Thread

Old 07-10-2011, 05:16 PM
11 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Find when my car was made

Hi I have a 99 trans am and I was looking at recalls. There is one for their clutch not working properly and it describes what is wrong. It perfectly matches what is happening to mine. I need to know when my car was made though because I don't want to go to the GM dealership and look dumb after they say. Nope your car was made after the recall.

I know you can usually just look on the door plate but there is nothing there on my car.
Old 07-10-2011, 05:33 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

U can alway call dealer and give them the vin to check, dont have to go in. btw what wrong with your clutch ? I never heard clutch recall before.
Old 07-10-2011, 05:41 PM
11 Second Club

http://www.internetautoguide.com/10-...d-recalls.html

There is the recall. Also it has actually stalled before and it has been increasing harder to shift into every gear.

It seems to me the clutch pedal also is loosing pressure sometimes. All my fluid is fine as well.

Sometimes it makes a little noise when the clutch is pressed in
Old 07-11-2011, 05:36 PM
Save the manuals!

Received 322 Likes on 295 Posts

Originally Posted by killagt
U can alway call dealer and give them the vin to check, dont have to go in. btw what wrong with your clutch ? I never heard clutch recall before.
^^^ This is the way to go. If you read the details, only 69 cars were affected. Pontiac probably tracked down all of them. Highly doubtful that you are driving the 1 out of 69 barn find that was never serviced for this issue.

More likely, your car is old and broken. I'm almost afraid to ask - how many miles is on your clutch and transmission?
Old 07-11-2011, 07:28 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by wssix99
^^^ This is the way to go. If you read the details, only 69 cars were affected. Pontiac probably tracked down all of them. Highly doubtful that you are driving the 1 out of 69 barn find that was never serviced for this issue.

More likely, your car is old and broken. I'm almost afraid to ask - how many miles is on your clutch and transmission?
Yub I beleive part just get old and give problem, same thing happent to me, and back then I was on the budget and thinking if this gm clutch last over 100k miles,why not put in the same one, so I order a gm clutch kit from a friend work inside he give me some discount. Since im mostly DD and not racing, OEM clutch kit is best choice for me back then.
Old 07-11-2011, 08:27 PM
Save the manuals!

For the OP - For this type of recall, the car would have been checked and repaired if it ever went in for warranty service. Given the issues these cars had, its highly unlikely that your car never saw a dealer!

I missed that you don't want to call a dealer. If that's the case, you can also check Carfax: http://recall.carfax.com/
Old 07-11-2011, 08:56 PM
Save the manuals!

Aside from the question on the recall, knowing the build date can be a useful thing.

What you want is the "build sheet" for the car. It came with the car originally and will say "STE-THERESE PLANT MANIFEST" in the upper right hand corner. The rest of the sheet looks like a complex bingo board. The sheet contains information about the parts put on to the car, the options, the build date/time, original dealer, etc.

If you didn't get the build sheet with the car, you should check to see if a dealer can print you one. If not, the GM Heritage Center may be able to reproduce one for you: http://www.gmheritagecenter.com/gm-heritage-archive/
Old 07-12-2011, 07:31 PM
11 Second Club

Thanks everyone and my car has 95k miles on it. It is the original clutch.

Where can I get the best deal on an OEM clutch? Also yes that site said 69 cars affected, but it was the only one. The rest just said for the production year.
Old 07-12-2011, 07:33 PM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by wssix99
For the OP - For this type of recall, the car would have been checked and repaired if it ever went in for warranty service. Given the issues these cars had, its highly unlikely that your car never saw a dealer!

I missed that you don't want to call a dealer. If that's the case, you can also check Carfax: http://recall.carfax.com/
My car isnt old and broken. Its the clutch that has problems sometimes and by looking in your sig. It is the same year as yours..
Old 07-12-2011, 08:55 PM
Save the manuals!

Its most likely time for a new clutch and it will be hard to say what's wrong unless you drop the transmission. The clutch itself is probably worn and/or you may have hydraulic issues.

I had to replace my OEM clutch at 91K miles. I went with a LS7 clutch and replaced the hydraulics with a GM slave (avoid the Delco version at all costs!) and a Tick MC since I'm going to keep the car a long time and don't want to drop the tranny any time soon to do a hydraulic repair. The LS7 and Tick combination is really stiff but it puts the power to the wheels a lot better.

At very least, you should replace the slave if you have to do the clutch. I think there are some threads that the AutoZone slave is identical to the good GM unit, which will lower the cost for you. I would think that a place like gmpartsdirect will be the best price on the GM clutch sets.
Old 07-13-2011, 04:30 PM
11 Second Club

thank you!
Old 07-14-2011, 12:47 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I believe that the build date (month and year) will be on the ID sticker that GM sticks on the driver's door. (inside the jamb)
Old 08-03-2011, 10:27 PM
Save the manuals!

Just got around to looking and the build month/year is on one of the door stickers. ^^^ The build sheet will get you the exact day if you want to get more precise.