General Maintenance & Repairs Leaks | Squeaks | Clunks | Rattles | Grinds

trans am headlight problem

Search this Thread

Old 07-11-2011, 08:24 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default trans am headlight problem

i have a 98 trans am, and the lights flip up fine, but when they go down, the driver side goes down, and it sounds like the motor keeps going for about three seconds. almost sound like the gear just keeps skipping. is this a relay problem, or something else? where can i buy the relay at? thanks
Old 07-11-2011, 08:29 AM
TECH Enthusiast

not a relay, gear is stripping out.
Old 07-11-2011, 09:55 AM

where is the best place to buy a replacement? thanks
Old 07-11-2011, 10:05 AM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by warrior35010
where is the best place to buy a replacement? thanks
You can do a temp fix, may last a few months or a few years. Just rotate the current gear as only 1/2 of it is used in operation, & its free.
Old 07-11-2011, 10:52 AM
TECH Veteran

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

Read my sticky...........
Old 07-11-2011, 11:45 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

there is a kit made with a aluminum gear now, i just did it to mine, search bfranker on here i think his name is.
Old 07-12-2011, 09:03 AM
Save the manuals!

Received 322 Likes on 295 Posts

Some newer info:

- Cardone now makes a new motor unit that is easier to change out the gear on. The gear cover is screwed on vs. glued on. So, if you are going to keep the car a long time, you may want to upgrade to the Cardone and use up its gears before you do any switching. The gear change on a stock motor is a PITA.

- Not all metal gears are made equal. If you are going to go that route, I highly suggest you get the one with the rubber insert. There are multiple sources for these. Some without the rubber shock absorber and some without. If you the one without, you'll be more prone to strip that one in the future, also.
Old 07-14-2011, 03:21 AM

Also check the "arm", that is fitted on the motor shaft, and that lifts the HL cover. It should be hitting a small white plastic thingy when going down - this is the thing that makes the motor stop. In my case the problem was that it SEEMED like the covers went down, and then a little bit up again. This was acctually an illusion, since the motor didn't acctually changed direction - the "arm" just went too far, and passed the location where it should have been stopped by the white thingy, so the "arm" started to lift the covers again. The white plastic "stopper" is fitted on a small metal thing (can't find a word for it), and by time this metal thing might get bent. Compare with co-driver side.

I also tested without the arm fitted on the motor shaft: if you let the motor spin freely this way, it spins about 5 seconds and then stops anyways. Up or down. So there is a maximum the motor should spin, wether or not anything (white stopper), stops the motor.
Old 07-14-2011, 05:30 AM
The Scammer Hammer

Received 20 Likes on 16 Posts

Google Rodney Dickman. That's where I had got the pieces I needed for my TA. Best thing I ever did.

Quick Reply: trans am headlight problem