Go Back   LS1TECH > CHASSIS, SUSPENSION, APPEARANCE > General Maintenance & Repairs
Sign in using an external account
Register Forgot Password?
Register iTraderTimeslips Photos Members Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Used CarsVendor Directory
Search

General Maintenance & Repairs
Leaks | Squeaks | Clunks | Rattles | Grinds
Sponsored by
Gearstar Performance Transmissions

Welcome to LS1Tech.com!
Welcome to LS1Tech.com.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, join LS1Tech.com today!

Old 07-12-2011, 12:32 AM   #1
Staging Lane
Garage is empty, add now

Trader Rating: 0
Question Loss of power when accelerating

I noticed lately that some times when I accelerate from around 2k rpm that my car will make a weird gurgle noise out the exhaust and theres a huge power loss. I don't want to say the car sputters because it doesn't feel like its going to die at all it just kind of makes a funny gurgle noise and loses all power while giving it throttle whether I gradually accelerate or WOT , its like when you gurgle water in your mouth except this sound is coming from the exhaust it definitly doesn't feel right. idk any ideas of what can be causing this?? I want to try to have this figured out by Thursday because I'm going to the track unless its not fixed yet. Thanks in advance.
01Ws6ix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2011, 01:01 AM   #2
Staging Lane
Garage is empty, add now

I also forgot to add the exhaust pops alot doesn't really sound like a back fire and at idle it faintly pops every now and then its not a smooth clean idle sound but yet the rpm gauge never moves. 01 ws6 stock down to the air lid besides a lm1 catback exhaust, which may explain some popping.
Old 07-12-2011, 02:27 AM   #3
TECH Fanatic
Garage is empty, add now

Trader Rating: 10

plugs or wires. i had the same problem exhaust popping turned out one my spark plugs (yea the one at the very back on the passenger side) was lose. i replaced them all and its all good now

02 WS6 - RIP 5-16-9
00 SS
bobbyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2011, 08:11 PM   #4
Staging Lane
Garage is empty, add now

well I'm not seeing any codes and it idles lik a champ and it never misfires or backfires. So I'm not sure its the plugs although I'll go ahead and change them anyway. Any other opinions as to why I'm losing power under acceleration?
Old 07-12-2011, 10:19 PM   #5
TECH Fanatic
Garage is empty, add now

Trader Rating: 10

clean the maf sensor. might want to check the gas pressure, if you haven't changed the fuel filter in a while you might want to do that.

easy way to see if its the maf or not unplug the hardnes from it and drive it. if it drives better clean it and you found the problem (although i will still clean it no matter what)

02 WS6 - RIP 5-16-9
00 SS
bobbyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2011, 10:39 PM   #6
TECH Senior Member
Garage is empty, add now

Trader Rating: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by 01Ws6ix View Post
well I'm not seeing any codes and it idles lik a champ and it never misfires or backfires. So I'm not sure its the plugs although I'll go ahead and change them anyway. Any other opinions as to why I'm losing power under acceleration?
Yup.....failing 02 sensor(s). Get a scan while the engine is running, see how they are all switching. And NO...you will NOT get a code for failing 02 sensors till they get really bad....for allot of cars.

Maybe a clogged cat too.

But loss of fuel pressure, as mentioned, in the upper rpm's is a definite possibility. Get a free pressure check, you can use the tester at some parts stores.

1998 WS6 T/A, AES 390ci fully forged iron block, (TT kit coming) stock TB, LS6 intake, LS1 heads, 239/235 .600/.600 114 lsa, 1 7/8" Grot LT's, 3" exhaust Magnaflow, 4L60E, Strange 12 bolt, Baer brakes, Hotchkis STB, UMI PH Bar, LCA's w/relocation brackets, SFC's, LG G2 Super Springs. Hals front, Bilsteins rear, 275/315 tires.

427ci stroker died at 173,000 miles...what a great engine that was..

Life may not be the party we hoped for, but while we're here we might as well DANCE.
LS6427 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2011, 11:41 PM   #7
Staging Lane
Garage is empty, add now

Thanks guys, I'm gonna clean the maf sensor tmrw and I'm replacing the air filter just cause it needs replaced, time for K&N I guess. Tune up on the way as well.
Old 07-14-2011, 03:05 AM   #8
Garage is empty, add now

You ... ehrmmm ... tried to drive for a while without TCS? Dunno about the gurgle sound, but if TCS believes you're loosing grip, you sure loose power ... alot.

I don't like TCS, not fun at all. Especially not at the red lights down town.
Old 07-15-2011, 11:44 AM   #9
Staging Lane
Garage is empty, add now

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spitzkindl View Post
You ... ehrmmm ... tried to drive for a while without TCS? Dunno about the gurgle sound, but if TCS believes you're loosing grip, you sure loose power ... alot.

I don't like TCS, not fun at all. Especially not at the red lights down town.
I don't have traction control my Ws6 didnt come equipped with it, I have the build paper that lists all options for it and TCS is not included, plus theirs no TCS button.

Although I found out this loss of power and weird noise comes when I'm accelerating while turning whether it be a slight turn or sharp turn any kind of turning while giving it gas causes it to lose power and make a gurgle noise as I said before.
Old 07-15-2011, 01:35 PM   #10
TECH Senior Member
Garage is empty, add now

Trader Rating: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by 01Ws6ix View Post
I don't have traction control my Ws6 didnt come equipped with it, I have the build paper that lists all options for it and TCS is not included, plus theirs no TCS button.

Although I found out this loss of power and weird noise comes when I'm accelerating while turning whether it be a slight turn or sharp turn any kind of turning while giving it gas causes it to lose power and make a gurgle noise as I said before.
Does your SES light ever flash?
1998 WS6 T/A, AES 390ci fully forged iron block, (TT kit coming) stock TB, LS6 intake, LS1 heads, 239/235 .600/.600 114 lsa, 1 7/8" Grot LT's, 3" exhaust Magnaflow, 4L60E, Strange 12 bolt, Baer brakes, Hotchkis STB, UMI PH Bar, LCA's w/relocation brackets, SFC's, LG G2 Super Springs. Hals front, Bilsteins rear, 275/315 tires.

427ci stroker died at 173,000 miles...what a great engine that was..

Life may not be the party we hoped for, but while we're here we might as well DANCE.
LS6427 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2011, 03:54 PM   #11
Staging Lane
Garage is empty, add now

No my car has never thrown a code since I got it except when the gas cap was loose once.
Old 07-18-2011, 01:47 AM   #12
On The Tree
2002 Pontiac Trans Am

My does that when I turn it is hesitant in accelerating fast it takes a sec and then gets up and goes. How do you clean the maf? Dumb question but im a noob

"Having a ls1 for an engine is like having king kong under your hood, hit the pedal and it goes apeshit" lol
Chandler Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2011, 01:47 AM
LS1Tech
Pontiac Firebird

Paid Advertisement

Tags
accelerating, acceleration, car, feels, gurgiling, lm1, loosing, losing, loss, ls1, muffler, noise, power, trans, ws6