General Maintenance & Repairs Leaks | Squeaks | Clunks | Rattles | Grinds

HELP : Veteran in the GAME but rookie to GHOST ISSUES 1996 Camaro 3.8L Vats issue or?

Search this Thread

Old 07-13-2011, 07:20 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default HELP : Veteran in the GAME but rookie to GHOST ISSUES 1996 Camaro 3.8L Vats issue or?

1996 Camaro
The million dollar problem. Vast ammounts of energy and money spent from alot of ppl to finally check out what really was wrong but not one person actually took the time to put what it was so others would know.

The car 3.8L starts runs 2-3 secs then shuts off,
The security light goes off like it is supposed to,
The fuel relay is good,
The fuel pump appears to be working as it would not start at all if it were bad.
The oil was recently changed after a 50 mile journey where the car traveled immaculate and was doing well. Symptoms next morning.
It would appear to me that the engine is starving for gas. Like someone is hittin the cut off switch on the fuel. I would like to think this is something simple and would like to know if anyone has any input on what this problem really was/is?

(Not Maf sensor since it will hold idle and then just die out like the fuel is shut off)
(Not oil pressure sensor because it looks good and the pressure checks out fine. Half mass)
Safty rollover cutoff switch? if so where is it? I need someone who exactly knows what this is, please help. G man
Old 07-13-2011, 07:52 AM
TECH Enthusiast

How many miles are on it? Check the fuel pressure (psi) at the fuel rail.Mine did this when the fuel pump was on its last gasp.Hope that this helps.
Old 07-13-2011, 08:19 AM

Default Hey thanks for the reply.

Originally Posted by 87gnx
How many miles are on it? Check the fuel pressure (psi) at the fuel rail.Mine did this when the fuel pump was on its last gasp.Hope that this helps.
Yeah I kind of thought maybe fuel pump too but after reading other posts I saw where ppl changed the fp and the same problem existed. Shotgunning is not in my blood.

What is the pressure supposed to be, ill check it in a bit.
Old 07-13-2011, 08:54 AM

oh forgot to say 114K miles.