General Maintenance & Repairs Leaks | Squeaks | Clunks | Rattles | Grinds

02 z28 hard start

Old 07-15-2011, 12:05 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 02 z28 hard start

The car is an 02 z28 as the title states. Recently it takes a good 4 to 5 seconds of cranking before the car starts. Some times, it's fine. I did notice that if the key is in the off position or out of the car and I put the gas peddle to the floor, let off, and then put the key in and start it; it starts just fine.

The car has Longtubes, off road y, and exhaust from there back. I do spray the car occasionaly. The car use to do it every now and then after a spray run, but not consistantly. Now it's doing it all the time. It has a diable handheld with some parameters not set by me as well. What could it be?
Old 07-15-2011, 12:53 PM
Staging Lane

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Start with the little things first...process of elimination if they dont help then look at the fuel pump,injectors,plug wires etc....but dont start throwing money at it yet....first Does the car smell like excessive fuel while it is cranking? sometimes when it cranks over for a few seconds before it starts thats an indication of weak spark or fuel pressure....check your plugs make sure they are gapped properly....if they are wet with oil or a gas smell....clean them off and regap or replace them if needed...then try to start again see what happens....if that didnt work you might want to change the fuel filter....see what that does....just keep going check your fuel pressure at the pressure valve does it have pressure? You could have bad gas too....is the tank full? If its low add fresh fuel....sounds like its something small and easy to fix....best of luck!
Old 07-15-2011, 01:00 PM
TECH Apprentice

It did smell like raw fuel under thed hood. Not excessive by any means! But After cranking for a while it starts weak then the idle jumps up to normal. But like I said if I just put my foot to the floor before starting the car then take it off, it starts fine. Aslo while it's hard cranking if I floor it with the key on it will fire up. I wonder it's not getting fuel to the rail.
Old 07-15-2011, 01:10 PM
TECH Apprentice

I found the ignition relay and swapped it for one of the fan relays and nothing changed unfortunately.

Search this Thread