General Maintenance & Repairs Leaks | Squeaks | Clunks | Rattles | Grinds

Fuel Treatment- Is it worth it?

Search this Thread

Old 07-17-2011, 02:50 AM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Fuel Treatment- Is it worth it?

Now I do all the proper maintenance on all my vehicles (oil changes, tire rotations, air cleaners, etc). Now I hear a lot about fuel treatment, either for improve gas mileage or removing the junk that accumulates at the bottom of the tank. Is this a myth? Do they actually work? Has anyone tried them?

Thanks
Old 07-17-2011, 03:23 AM
Launching!

About once a year I treat my gastank with 1/2 can of seafoam. The other 1/2 I pour in the brake booster.
Old 07-17-2011, 04:28 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 215 Likes on 176 Posts

using the brake booster hose is bad juju.....your only feeding the back cylinders........use the front PCV nipple on the intake
Old 07-17-2011, 07:03 AM
10 Second Club

Received 22 Likes on 20 Posts

I dump some in the brake booster AND front PCV on intake. Then the rest in the gas tank.
Old 07-17-2011, 08:08 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The only way to "remove" the junk that accumulates in the tank, short of dropping and flushing the tank, is to run it through the engine. I'd rather that **** stay in the gas tank.

I will normally get a can of Seafoam and dump it into the gas tank once a year, to help keep the injectors clean, and I'll spray some Deep Creep into the intake manifold and let it sit for a bit and then take the car out.
Old 07-17-2011, 12:19 PM
Banned

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Only way to keep your gas tank from EVER accumulating junk in there is to stay on top of it from when the car is brand new. For the past 13 years on my Trans Am, every 3-4 months, I pour a FULL can of SeaFoam into 1/4 tank of gas and let it clean everything from the tank to the fuel injectors to the valves. My stock engine was always fine, and my 427ci for the past 9 years has been fine. For $7.00 every 3-4 months, why not.......

Now if this is the first time pouring a cleaner into the tank......you MUST also change the fuel filter after you run that gas out. Because you're certain to loosen some crap and it could clog the filter. But they are cheap and take 5 minutes to change. I do them every 10,000 miles anyway.

NEWS FLASH.........DO NOT pour anything in LIQUID form into the brake booster line......for the millionth time.

Old 07-17-2011, 12:28 PM
On The Tree

I have seen it help out in severe cases, but unless your having problems now, you wont see a change as it will be preventative.

Originally Posted by LS6427
NEWS FLASH.........DO NOT pour anything in LIQUID form into the brake booster line......for the millionth time.
What is your basis on this? There is nothing wrong with putting sea foam in your brake booster hose, you just need to pull it in slow. It will not hurt anything, unless you suck too much in at a time.
Old 07-17-2011, 12:51 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by Black96z28
I have seen it help out in severe cases, but unless your having problems now, you wont see a change as it will be preventative.

What is your basis on this? There is nothing wrong with putting sea foam in your brake booster hose, you just need to pull it in slow. It will not hurt anything, unless you suck too much in at a time.
Man, you haven't been reading all the posts/threads over the past 5 years on this subject I guess.

IN SHORT:
There is absolutely no possible way that SeaFoam can move forward once it enters the intake from the back (brake booster port) as it will be fighting the very fast incoming air from the TB. Therefore, people are risking accidental hydralock of a rear pistons and all they are doing is barely cleaning those back two pistons and two runners....WHY? Because liquid is too heavy and gets sucked right through the engine. So you are barely cleaning two pistons and two runners. The entire rest of the intake doesn't get touched and the other 6 pistons and runners don't get touched.

Be smart.....use a product that is designed to touch every single square inch of the inside of the top end....AND have the ability to sit in there and soak into the crud and soften it up. MCCC (Mopar Combustion Chamber Cleaner) or the GM cleaner. They are an expanding FOAM, and that foam expands while it sits in there and cleans everything.

I did the SeaFoam treatment like 5 years ago. I'm the one that started all the talk about its total bullshit to clean a top end. I used 3 full cans over a couple weeks, did it 3 separate times through the brake booster line. I did it 3 times because I kept getting just a little bit of smoke, I wanted to do it till it didn't smoke anymore. That to me would mean its totally clean. Then about two weeks later my friend gave me a can of MCCC....it smoked more on that cleaning than all 3 SeaFoam cleanings combined. Most of the smoke people get from SeaFoam is the SeaFoam itself smoking because it pools inside like a puddle because its a liquid. So if you SeaFoam your engine 100 times in a row in a one month period....you will keep getting a smoke show. Do the MCCC and it will clean all the crud that can be cleaned....some cannot no matter what you do. Some engine need to be torn down to clean them 100%.

There's allot of people out there that might pour some SeaFoam in to fast....why have them **** up there engines. MCCC or GM cleaner has absolutely no chance of hurting anything and it actually cleans the entire top end.

Old 07-17-2011, 01:25 PM
Teching In

Thanks for all the info.
Old 07-17-2011, 01:28 PM
On The Tree

Man, you haven't been reading all the posts/threads over the past 5 years on this subject I guess.

You are correct, I have not bothered to read everything posted in that last 5 years. I guess I assumed you meant not to on any vehicle, it was not clear to me that you meant LS equipped cars. I assumed that you may have been one of those people who are misinformed about putting liquids into the intake. I apologize.
Old 07-17-2011, 03:19 PM
10 Second Club

3 ls1s later of using seafoam through brake booster and through front of intake and my cars have always been fine. Its just kinda funny the one and only time I used MCCC I ended up with a misfire and craped out o2s. Maybe it was just me having that issue but never once did I ever have any kind of problem with seafoam not only on the 3 ls1 cars but a few other kinds of cars also. My dad is a fan of seafoam also and has been using it alot longer than I have.
Old 07-17-2011, 04:19 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by Black96z28
You are correct, I have not bothered to read everything posted in that last 5 years. I guess I assumed you meant not to on any vehicle, it was not clear to me that you meant LS equipped cars. I assumed that you may have been one of those people who are misinformed about putting liquids into the intake. I apologize.
I just figure its roughly the same cost for a can of MCCC and SeaFoam. Its much easier to introduce the properly designed product into the top end. Also, its a snap, literally a 2 minute job to use the MCCC, on any vehicle. Not good pulling on that brake booster line, its easy to break that port because over time they get briddle. Spraying into the vaccum line is effortless.

For almost any car made.

And it will actually clean like we want to. The SeaFoam will not work thoroughly on any car. Its impossible to get to all runners/cylinders.

Old 07-17-2011, 06:11 PM
On The Tree

IMAO, I don't think it's really worth it as long as you use top tier gas http://www.toptiergas.com/index.html and don't gas up when the tanker is delivering gas as it will bring up the junk from the bottom of the under ground tanks and mix with the gas before it settles at the bottom again. And don't let your gas tank go below 1/4 as it may/will suck up junk from the bottom of your gas tank and clog the filter/screen.
Old 07-17-2011, 07:49 PM
TECH Fanatic

I use either Seafoam or Techron fuel system cleaner once every 6 months or so in a tank of gas, and haven't had any issues yet.

As far as pouring a liquid in your vacuum line, I think it's useless as well....you're just filling your rear two cylinders with fluid and burning it off.
Old 07-18-2011, 10:08 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by bman149
Now I do all the proper maintenance on all my vehicles (oil changes, tire rotations, air cleaners, etc). Now I hear a lot about fuel treatment, either for improve gas mileage or removing the junk that accumulates at the bottom of the tank. Is this a myth? Do they actually work? Has anyone tried them?

Thanks
It is a good idea to dump in some fuel treatment atleast twice a year. I don't think it will improve fuel economy, but it might restore some fuel economy by cleaning your injectors, and removing contaminants like water from your gas tank. Water and gasoline .. along with ethanol, will separate over time, fuel treatment helps with this issue. Theres a few lab tests on youtube to support this, along with personal experience in school.

As far as brands, seafoam and techron are good choices, I haven't heard anything bad from lucas products.
Old 07-18-2011, 11:44 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by senicalj4579
3 ls1s later of using seafoam through brake booster and through front of intake and my cars have always been fine. Its just kinda funny the one and only time I used MCCC I ended up with a misfire and craped out o2s. Maybe it was just me having that issue but never once did I ever have any kind of problem with seafoam not only on the 3 ls1 cars but a few other kinds of cars also. My dad is a fan of seafoam also and has been using it alot longer than I have.
Just remember....you ARE NOT cleaning the front 6 runners and cylinders when using SeaFoam through the brake booster line. That much is a fact.

Old 07-18-2011, 11:46 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 215 Likes on 176 Posts

we must have a lot of crappy gas around here.....anytime the engine is runnin rough.......some gas treatment always smooths it out
Old 07-18-2011, 11:47 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by chevystyle
IMAO, I don't think it's really worth it as long as you use top tier gas http://www.toptiergas.com/index.html and don't gas up when the tanker is delivering gas as it will bring up the junk from the bottom of the under ground tanks and mix with the gas before it settles at the bottom again. And don't let your gas tank go below 1/4 as it may/will suck up junk from the bottom of your gas tank and clog the filter/screen.
Your gas pick-up tube is always sucking from the bottom of the tank. Where do you think everything settles when the car sits overnight.......at the bottom. And it also settles right in the bottom of the "bowl" where the fuel pump and pick-up tube sucks from.

Either a tank is clean or its not. If its not you will get a clogged fuel pump screen or whatever gets through the pump will clog the fuel filter.

Old 07-18-2011, 05:01 PM
10 Second Club

Just remember....you ARE NOT cleaning the front 6 runners and cylinders when using SeaFoam through the brake booster line. That much is a fact.

And thats why I put some in the front of intake as well. I put in gas tank to
Old 07-18-2011, 05:03 PM
10 Second Club

I run my car with a 1/4 tank gas or less unless im on a big trip. Iv never had an issue with "gunk" lol

Quick Reply: Fuel Treatment- Is it worth it?