General Maintenance & Repairs Leaks | Squeaks | Clunks | Rattles | Grinds

Temp Guage acting erratic when car stalls

Search this Thread

Old 07-19-2011, 10:41 AM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Unhappy Temp Guage acting erratic when car stalls

Good Morning (I Wish),

My car has started stalling on the way to work today. It was having troubles when I accelerated a bit, but when I would slow or stop it would stall most times. When I would restart the car it would idle fine.

The weird part about it stalling was the temperature guage would drop and rise quickly when the car was trying to avoid a stall. All the rest of the guages look like they didn't move at all, but the only way to tell the car is having a problem is to look at the temp guage when driving. It doesn't make sense to me.

Please help me get my DD back on the road. It is a 2000 Trans Am WS6 with 90,000 Miles on it.

I have added 2 containers of Gas Line Antifreeze / Dryer to it because I read that the extra heat and humidity can cause condensation when it is so hot but that has not eliminated the issue.
Old 07-19-2011, 10:59 AM
Banned

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by Batmobile-WS6
Good Morning (I Wish),

My car has started stalling on the way to work today. It was having troubles when I accelerated a bit, but when I would slow or stop it would stall most times. When I would restart the car it would idle fine.

The weird part about it stalling was the temperature guage would drop and rise quickly when the car was trying to avoid a stall. All the rest of the guages look like they didn't move at all, but the only way to tell the car is having a problem is to look at the temp guage when driving. It doesn't make sense to me.

Please help me get my DD back on the road. It is a 2000 Trans Am WS6 with 90,000 Miles on it.

I have added 2 containers of Gas Line Antifreeze / Dryer to it because I read that the extra heat and humidity can cause condensation when it is so hot but that has not eliminated the issue.
Most likely you need a new coolant temp sensor. Some of our cars, mostly the 1998's LIKE MINE........WILL NOT run very well, or at all, if the coolant temp sensor is failing or has failed.

When my coolant temp sensor started to fail....my engine spits, sputters and backfires...it will barely stay running. If I just put it in gear it will immediately stall.

That could be it. But it could be wiring problems too.

Old 07-19-2011, 01:29 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Yep, check the ECT sensor/connector/wiring first.
Old 07-19-2011, 02:07 PM
Staging Lane

Default Thanks

Thank you Guys, I'll try that tonight. Why would a temperature guage be able to kill a motor?
Old 07-19-2011, 09:37 PM
Banned

Why would a temperature guage be able to kill a motor?
These friggin PCM's...their just too good for their own good. Sometimes they cause more problems than their worth.

Old 07-19-2011, 09:41 PM
Staging Lane

Talking Fixed!

I am happy to report that the Engine Coolant Temperature Sensor fixed my issue.

A few points:

1. It was only 12 dollars!!!!

2. You can unplug the sensor and you can still drive the car. With it plugged in and making an inconsistant connection it will stall the car out, but the car runs great with it unplugged.

Thank you again.
Old 07-19-2011, 10:33 PM
Banned

Cool man.....yup, its an easy fix. Your lucky, my 1998 won't run if its failed and unplugged. I broke one off in the head once and figured I could drive it unplugged....NOPE. Good thing I got it out easily and didn;t have to remove my head.

Old 07-20-2011, 05:18 AM
Save the manuals!

Received 322 Likes on 295 Posts

Thank you Guys, I'll try that tonight. Why would a temperature guage be able to kill a motor?
Here's a great article on why: http://www.wellsmfg.net/counterpoint...erpoint2_2.pdf

In a nutshell, the PCM uses the coolant sensor output to adjust the emissions controls depending if the engine is cold or warm. If the sensor says one thing and reality is different, the mixtures going in to the combustion chambers can get way off.