General Maintenance & Repairs Leaks | Squeaks | Clunks | Rattles | Grinds

My car is slow..

Search this Thread

Old 07-19-2011, 02:09 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default My car is slow..

Okay so i recently had a bad ground wire fixed and now have a steady check engine light and scanned it...the codes were for the coolant temp switch on the drivers side head, and the cam position sensor. I believe that the cam position sensor is the cause for my car to take so long to crank over and actually start up sometimes. and the coolant temp switch is the cause of my car running rich and smelling like crazy gas fumes. I've also got some tranny issues (6 spd), shifts fine but hard to get into reverse and sometimes grinds going into 1st...now with all of these symptoms that I just listed...would any of these problems cause my car to feel real sluggish? Because i for the life of me CANNOT break loose in 1st gear on balldddddd **** tires from a dead stop, of course if i dump the clutch I'll be able to. but if i just barely ease off the clutch and have it roll like at 2mph and step on the gas it will just pick up on rpm but will not break loose...in my old LT1 i was able to break loose so easily even running on 2 burned spark plug wires that were arcing off of the headers. Any input would be great. Thanks.
Old 07-19-2011, 06:49 PM
TECH Apprentice

anyone?
Old 07-19-2011, 07:36 PM
Teching In

I'll take a guess...

You're not in the torque range of the ls1
the lt1 is basically insta torque..but u have bald tires so idk. i regret posting now lol
Old 07-19-2011, 07:49 PM
TECH Addict

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Fix the cam position sensor issue before you look further.
http://www.ehow.com/about_5903731_ca...-symptoms.html
Old 07-19-2011, 07:56 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

i dunno dude. the ta won't break tires loose from a slow roll either, but it traps 110+ so i'm happy with it haha.
Old 07-19-2011, 09:35 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by s346k
i dunno dude. the ta won't break tires loose from a slow roll either, but it traps 110+ so i'm happy with it haha.

From a few MPH I won't really break em loose either, unless I mash the gas or dump the clutch.
Old 07-20-2011, 05:28 AM
Save the manuals!

Received 322 Likes on 295 Posts

Originally Posted by LT1559
...would any of these problems cause my car to feel real sluggish?
Yes. http://www.wellsve.com/sft503/counterp_v2_i2_1998.pdf

Particularly when you have multiple sensor failures - you need to fix them first before you can really tell if there are other problems.
Old 07-20-2011, 07:21 AM
TECH Enthusiast

really , a T/A doesnt break the tires loose in 1st ? i should probably drive my V6 off of a cliff then , there must be something wrong there i dont know ..
Old 07-20-2011, 11:03 AM
Banned

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by LT1559
Okay so i recently had a bad ground wire fixed and now have a steady check engine light and scanned it...the codes were for the coolant temp switch on the drivers side head, and the cam position sensor. I believe that the cam position sensor is the cause for my car to take so long to crank over and actually start up sometimes. and the coolant temp switch is the cause of my car running rich and smelling like crazy gas fumes. I've also got some tranny issues (6 spd), shifts fine but hard to get into reverse and sometimes grinds going into 1st...now with all of these symptoms that I just listed...would any of these problems cause my car to feel real sluggish? Because i for the life of me CANNOT break loose in 1st gear on balldddddd **** tires from a dead stop, of course if i dump the clutch I'll be able to. but if i just barely ease off the clutch and have it roll like at 2mph and step on the gas it will just pick up on rpm but will not break loose...in my old LT1 i was able to break loose so easily even running on 2 burned spark plug wires that were arcing off of the headers. Any input would be great. Thanks.
Cam sensor can cause those sluggish problems. And I just happen to have a new one in the AC Delco box. I'll sell it to you for half the price of a brand new one.....plus shipping, which should only be about $5.00.

Also, the coolant temp sensor going bad....will not allow a 1998 LS1 to run properly. My engine has no chance of running, no way I can even put it in gear and pull away, it will stall out.

Change the temp sensor first.....its like $12.00. Might fix the issues.
((actually, go unplug the temp sensor and see if it runs normally))

Then do the cam sensor.

Old 07-21-2011, 03:14 PM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by LS6427
Cam sensor can cause those sluggish problems. And I just happen to have a new one in the AC Delco box. I'll sell it to you for half the price of a brand new one.....plus shipping, which should only be about $5.00.

Also, the coolant temp sensor going bad....will not allow a 1998 LS1 to run properly. My engine has no chance of running, no way I can even put it in gear and pull away, it will stall out.

Change the temp sensor first.....its like $12.00. Might fix the issues.
((actually, go unplug the temp sensor and see if it runs normally))

Then do the cam sensor.

Cooll thanks man, i dont get paid till' next tuesday so I will let you know when I get paid.
Old 07-21-2011, 03:15 PM
TECH Apprentice

And thanks for everyone else with the inputs, now I have a sense of relief that I didn't buy a tired LS1
Old 07-23-2011, 01:16 AM
On The Tree

I heard somewhere that the LS1 weighs about 100 pounds less than the LT1, but the LS1 cars have heavier suspension, chassis, and stuff like. Perhaps that gets a better hook up? I really don't understand why you want to break your tires loose though, so that you can burn more rubber off them? You should be putting all your power to the ground, which your car does. No problem there, though it needs some maintenance
Old 07-23-2011, 02:02 AM
TECH Apprentice

Oh yeah definetely i want all of the power to the ground... but i figured that since the tires on it are super bald that i would be able to break them loose, not saying that i would want that to happen on good tires, but not being able to break em' loose on bad tires tells me there's something wrong here. i just wanted to know everyones opinion on it...but yeah i for sure need to fix those little problems first and do a big tune up
Old 07-23-2011, 07:07 PM
Save the manuals!

Received 322 Likes on 295 Posts

I think breaking the tires loose is a good test of the power the car is putting out. If I can't get them to slip a little bit, I know something is wrong with the car...