General Maintenance & Repairs Leaks | Squeaks | Clunks | Rattles | Grinds

AC Pulley Noise. HELP!!!

Search this Thread

Old 07-20-2011, 11:18 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default AC Pulley Noise. HELP!!!

Hey guys so i narrowed down a squealing sound to the ac pulleys. Not the main pulley but the smaller ones by the ac unit. ive been to Kragen and Oreilly and they keep bringing up a tensioner pulley. I found a past thread that someone recommended using a dayco 89135, but im not 100% sure that will work.
Old 07-21-2011, 04:10 PM
Launching!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Technically, you can replace the pulley itself on the tensioner, but it's likely a better idea to replace the entire tensioner. The little pulley next to the tensioner is also the same exact pulley that the tensioner uses. You will likely want a new tensioner and a new pulley to replace the idler. I don't have part numbers on hand. Any of the brands will be fine, Dayco, Gates, AC Delco, Goodyear, etc.
Old 07-21-2011, 04:55 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by Elthesh
Technically, you can replace the pulley itself on the tensioner, but it's likely a better idea to replace the entire tensioner. The little pulley next to the tensioner is also the same exact pulley that the tensioner uses. You will likely want a new tensioner and a new pulley to replace the idler. I don't have part numbers on hand. Any of the brands will be fine, Dayco, Gates, AC Delco, Goodyear, etc.
is it the same as the regular belt tensioner pulley?
Old 07-21-2011, 05:21 PM
Launching!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

No, the main drive pulleys are completely different. The AC drive tensioner is much smaller than the main drive tensioner as well. The 2 AC pulleys are also much smaller. I just checked my order history and the AC tensioner should be part 89339 for an LS1. 89135 Should be the part for the pulley next to the tensioner.

Word of advice, don't toss out any of the metal spacers, washers, whatever are on the pulleys when youy remove them. I beleive I used a washer/spacer/whatever on one of them to get it lined up with the belt properly. I know the main drive idler pulley required a spacer as well as it rubbed without it, and I'm pretty sure I used something for the AC idler pulley. I forget if it was the factory spacer/shield/whatever or an automotive grade washer I bought.

So don't just install and forget it, spin em and make sure they feel right, and check the belt on them when you install it to make sure its not too far off to one edge or the other.
Old 07-21-2011, 06:38 PM
Staging Lane

just remove the pulleys and grease the bearing, when you remove the pulley on the bearing theres a rubber ring that covers the bearing get a flat head and remove the ring on both sides grease them up good, and put everything back together. i had the same problem and now its gone. your gonna need a t-50 i belive to remove the screw on 1 of the pulleys.
Old 07-21-2011, 07:46 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by Elthesh
No, the main drive pulleys are completely different. The AC drive tensioner is much smaller than the main drive tensioner as well. The 2 AC pulleys are also much smaller. I just checked my order history and the AC tensioner should be part 89339 for an LS1. 89135 Should be the part for the pulley next to the tensioner.

Word of advice, don't toss out any of the metal spacers, washers, whatever are on the pulleys when youy remove them. I beleive I used a washer/spacer/whatever on one of them to get it lined up with the belt properly. I know the main drive idler pulley required a spacer as well as it rubbed without it, and I'm pretty sure I used something for the AC idler pulley. I forget if it was the factory spacer/shield/whatever or an automotive grade washer I bought.

So don't just install and forget it, spin em and make sure they feel right, and check the belt on them when you install it to make sure its not too far off to one edge or the other.
Originally Posted by r4dio78
just remove the pulleys and grease the bearing, when you remove the pulley on the bearing theres a rubber ring that covers the bearing get a flat head and remove the ring on both sides grease them up good, and put everything back together. i had the same problem and now its gone. your gonna need a t-50 i belive to remove the screw on 1 of the pulleys.
You guys are the best. id by you a drink if i was remotly close. Us young guys need experienced people to help us lol

Quick Reply: AC Pulley Noise. HELP!!!