General Maintenance & Repairs Leaks | Squeaks | Clunks | Rattles | Grinds

98 T/A - Hard starting EXCEPT when gas tank is full

Search this Thread

Old 07-23-2011, 03:37 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 98 T/A - Hard starting EXCEPT when gas tank is full

Hey all,

My T/A has had this issue for a long time now, more of a nuisance than anything else. It usually takes 3 turns of the key to get the car to start, but it starts up first try when the tank is full. This makes me think the pump is on its way out (more gas in the tank, more pressure going through the pump, less work for pump). Is this right to assume, or is this the fuel pressure regulator or something else? What should I check first? I've been avoiding this fix for a while since a new pump is somewhere around $300-$400 bucks.
Old 07-23-2011, 08:29 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

When was last time you replaced your fuel filter, cleaned out the injectors,changed plugs/wires.

Technically the fuel pump is submerged in gas even if you are at 1/4 tank as far as I know.

check your fuel pressure at the rail when you are less than full tank.
There's a valve that you can uncap & is on passenger side of car.
Connect the tester to this valve and turn key to accessory, let the pump prime and check pressure.

If pressure is low, maybe someone else can chime in on what else to check for instead of just replacing the pump.

Worse case if you do need a pump I would look into a walboro pump a sponsor on here sells. Its Half the price of a stock GM replacement and works better.
Old 07-25-2011, 08:14 AM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I replace the fuel filter often, sometimes too frequent, hoping that would fix it. Plugs and wires are recent enough. I'm going to head out this afternoon and grab a pressure gauge and hopefully rule out the pump. Should be enough sunlight to at least check over the injectors while I'm at it.