General Maintenance & Repairs Leaks | Squeaks | Clunks | Rattles | Grinds

No fuel problems

Search this Thread

Old 07-27-2011, 09:54 AM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default No fuel problems

So I was driving my 98 z28 down the street and it started to sputter. I thought crap I must have ran out of gas. I was super low but no gas light was on or fuel light warning on my dash. I put in a galon and tried to get it to start. A little sputtering but nothing to even get it moving. Tried 2 more gallons (total of 3) and a bit of starting fluid. Starting fluid got it to run for like 5 seconds but it never took over car just died. Added a few more gallons so now were up to like 5-6. Even with starting fluid the car wouldn't start for more than a few seconds. I had to get it towed home. So sitting in my drive way I noticed that I couldn't hear my fuel pump. So I pulled the fuse out and it was blown. Changed it with a 20amp fuse for my horn. Still wont start. So I pushed the shrader valve and it let some air out but no fuel came out. I tried to jump the fuel pump I was doing the wrong ones at first but I was able to read the #'s on the buttom of the relays as the sun came up. (my car took its poop on me at 2:30 am didn't get it home until 5:30) The diagram doesn't even represent the fuse block at all. It shows 5 and 3 across from each other yet they are diagonal wierd. Anyways now that my fuel fuse is good and I am trying to jump my #5 to power or 3 both should work all it does is give me a nice spark when they touch and thats it. Fuel pump still doesn't turn on audibly. So I pulled that little thing thats held in by a snap ring that sits in between the 2 fuel rails. Tried to cycle the key with the relay in nothing no fuel comes out. Tried to jump the relay nothing... Tried a different relay nothing.... I am out of ideas. I get nothing no matter what I do. I can't tell if its the wiring going bad or the fuel pump. Any ideas? All that happens is if I leave the fuel pump jump wire hooked up it gets warm. No fuel comes out.