General Maintenance & Repairs Leaks | Squeaks | Clunks | Rattles | Grinds

A/c turns on , car dies ?

Search this Thread

Old 08-01-2011, 10:00 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default A/c turns on , car dies ?

So before I did all this , my car a/c ran , just did not blow cold air , just air itself . I had the idea to recharge it . So today I bought some recharging coolant crap . Followed the directions on the can , well its started to sqeaul as I added the coolant then died . This is with the A/C on full blast .

Now every time I turn the air on it dies and squeals .

Now does this indicate a bad compressor ? or clutch ? Or What
Old 08-01-2011, 10:20 PM
Banned

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

I'm pretty sure thats a clear sign that the compressor does not want to turn......its probably shot. Unless maybe its just a bad cluch binding up when its turned on and its stalling the engine. I'm not an AC expert by any means though.

Old 08-02-2011, 05:56 AM
Teching In

Originally Posted by LS6427
I'm pretty sure thats a clear sign that the compressor does not want to turn......its probably shot. Unless maybe its just a bad cluch binding up when its turned on and its stalling the engine. I'm not an AC expert by any means though.

Me either , But I woud think that if the compressor was shot then before I even charged it , it would of done the same thing . IDK though .
Old 08-02-2011, 06:06 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Could be the compressor but it could also be an issue with the PCV system. I recently had an issue with my Taurus where if I would put the AC on the idle rpms would surge and if I gave it gas at the low point it would die. We tried a recharge and it didn't fix it, ended up being that a rubber PCV elbow was getting sucked closed by vacuum and then expanding back out. Replaced that little elbow and now it works again.
Old 08-02-2011, 06:59 AM
Staging Lane

Mine did the exact same thing. Your compressor is shot so you need to buy another compressor. Rock Auto is the way to go if your buying a new one. Cost me about around 550 or so for all new AC parts and then I helped a friend install them for me for free.
Old 08-02-2011, 06:59 AM
Teching In

Originally Posted by LS-ONE_DAY
Could be the compressor but it could also be an issue with the PCV system. I recently had an issue with my Taurus where if I would put the AC on the idle rpms would surge and if I gave it gas at the low point it would die. We tried a recharge and it didn't fix it, ended up being that a rubber PCV elbow was getting sucked closed by vacuum and then expanding back out. Replaced that little elbow and now it works again.
Hmm , but did it squeal alot ? I will check all my piping !
Old 08-02-2011, 07:25 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I don't recall any squealing noises from it running. I had my mechanic do the recharge for me so he could take a look at everything, I don't know if it squealed when he did it or not. Not sure if you saw the post above yours or not since it was posted the same time as your reply but he said its the compressor. PCV system is cheaper to look at and get fixed though so I'd start there just in case.

For all the work my mechanic did, initial inspection, AC recharge, secondary inspection, PCV elbow replacement, he charged me like $80-$90 total. Much better than replacing a compressor if that is what it is in your case.

On a side note, visually check belts too if you haven't. Squeal could be belt related.

Last edited by LS-ONE_DAY; 08-02-2011 at 07:27 AM. Reason: Side note
Old 08-02-2011, 10:23 AM
Teching In

Originally Posted by Chaotic Deconstruct
Mine did the exact same thing. Your compressor is shot so you need to buy another compressor. Rock Auto is the way to go if your buying a new one. Cost me about around 550 or so for all new AC parts and then I helped a friend install them for me for free.
Not what I really wanted to hear lol . Thanks ! I apprecaite it all !

Quick Reply: A/c turns on , car dies ?