General Maintenance & Repairs Leaks | Squeaks | Clunks | Rattles | Grinds

A/C Low Side Service Port Leaking

Search this Thread

Old 08-01-2011, 11:35 AM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default A/C Low Side Service Port Leaking

Vehicle: 1997 LT1

I charged my a/c system today. Once I was done, I noticed that the low side service port valve is leaking. I did a general google search, searched here, and found nothing that answered my question.

I called my local gm dealer and asked how much a replacement valve would cost, and they said it would be around $10, which doesn't bother me. However, can I simply replace the valve inside the service port? Or do I need to replace the entire line? The only visible leak is coming through the valve in the low side service port.

IF I can simply replace the valve, will I need any special tools other than a standard valve remover? It looks like a standard valve from what I can see.

Also, I realize that I will have to discharge the system before replacing the valve. Can I purchase a discharge container from any auto parts store? Or will I have to take it to a mechanic to discharge the system?

I am a learning LT1 enthusiast and not an expert. Lol, so I am sorry for the stupid questions, just want to ask them as clear as possible.

Thanks for reading and any advice that you can send my way.
Old 08-01-2011, 09:20 PM
wrencher

Yes it threads out like a tire schader valve. there are some ports that are complete replacement, likely the high side on that car is one of those types.
The standard schrader tool should be able to get it. There is also a larger schrader core tool for A/C also.
I dont know of anything but a recovery/charge machine that can empty & store the refigerant.
Old 08-01-2011, 10:39 PM
Launching!

Thank you very much ^^^

I figured it would thread out like a standard valve. The discharge container was mentioned in the repair manuals (Haines/Chilton), so thats why I asked. I'll do more research on thst though. Again, thanks for the help!

Quick Reply: A/C Low Side Service Port Leaking