General Maintenance & Repairs Leaks | Squeaks | Clunks | Rattles | Grinds

Long list of things that dont make me happy.

Search this Thread

Old 08-03-2011, 09:33 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Long list of things that dont make me happy.

i went to advanced to have my car scanned and you can believe this didnt make me too happy.. i think i bought a project car..

b0040 right front wheel speed sensor
b0041 right front wheel speed circuit range
p0161 o2 bank 2 sensor 2
p0171 o2 bank 1 lean
o0174 o2 bank 2 lean
p0410 secondary air injection
p0412 secondary air injection switching valve A circuit
p0418 secondary air injection relay A malfunction
p0420 (dont have cats)
90442 emission leak (think from egr hole in header)
p1336 crank position not learned

for the b0040 - 41 the advanced scanner said right i looked online it says left loop open? explain
what is the secondary air injection ****?
crank position not learned? wtf

please help lol
Old 08-03-2011, 10:00 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by 14k
i went to advanced to have my car scanned and you can believe this didnt make me too happy.. i think i bought a project car..

b0040 right front wheel speed sensor
b0041 right front wheel speed circuit range
p0161 o2 bank 2 sensor 2 - get it tuned out.
p0171 o2 bank 1 lean - driver side front o2 sensor. replace it
o0174 o2 bank 2 lean - passenger side front o2 sensor. replace it.
p0410 secondary air injection - did they remove the air pump system? if so just get codes 410,412 and 418 tuned out.
p0412 secondary air injection switching valve A circuit - see above
p0418 secondary air injection relay A malfunction - see above
p0420 (dont have cats) - get it tuned out.
90442 emission leak (think from egr hole in header) - get some block off plates for the hole on the headers.
p1336 crank position not learned - not sure possible disconnect the battery cables for 20 minutes and let the computer relearn it. this might fix this issue.

for the b0040 - 41 the advanced scanner said right i looked online it says left loop open? explain
what is the secondary air injection ****?
crank position not learned? wtf

please help lol
the codes which i highlighted in bold wont cause you any performance issues. they will just need to be tuned out to get rid of the check engine light for those. for the front o2 sensors you will want to replace those.
hope that helps. as for the first code I really cant help you there never heard of it. possibly do a search on here for that code and see what comes up.
Old 08-03-2011, 11:27 PM
On The Tree

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

i do know crank position sensor is just a plug that reads the position of your reluctor wheel. sensor isn't too hard too change but i would change it. it can affect performance. you need to know what part of the rotation the crank is in to function properly
Old 08-04-2011, 12:53 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by bobbyd
the codes which i highlighted in bold wont cause you any performance issues. they will just need to be tuned out to get rid of the check engine light for those. for the front o2 sensors you will want to replace those.
hope that helps. as for the first code I really cant help you there never heard of it. possibly do a search on here for that code and see what comes up.
getting them tuned out is out of the question for right now. im just trying to fix everything as the money comes in.
as for the air pump system how would i know? is it related to the AC? if so the ac works fine. o2s will come soon as will the block off plate.

when i was driving home tonight i noticed my gauge lights were pulsing. it was slight but i noticed it. what would be causing this?
Old 08-04-2011, 03:30 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by 14k
getting them tuned out is out of the question for right now. im just trying to fix everything as the money comes in.
as for the air pump system how would i know? is it related to the AC? if so the ac works fine. o2s will come soon as will the block off plate.

when i was driving home tonight i noticed my gauge lights were pulsing. it was slight but i noticed it. what would be causing this?
if tuning those out is out of the question for now its ok. you will just have the check engine light but wont affect performance.

the Air system is not related to the AC.
on your drivers side look for a hose running from the bottom of the drivers side headlight through the side of the drivers side into the back or top of the intake. or a better way will be to look on the drivers side under the headlights to see if you see/have the Air pump.if you dont see the pump then the Air pump/system was removed. you don't need it anyways. all it does is when you first turn on your car it sends some air to the cats. since you dont have cats you dont need it.

thats what it looks like.

as for the lights flickering could be battery, alternator, ground cable, do you have a big sound system? if you do that can be the cause. usually when the base hits it will dim the lights if its a big system (watts)
Old 08-04-2011, 04:10 AM
Teching In

your front wheel speed sensor is probally the wire that plugs into the hub and goes up the frame to the main engine harness, it is common for that wire to get stuck in the shock mount and get pinched till it breaks, i have had 3 4th gens with that problem. it should only effect ABS and traction control
Old 08-04-2011, 04:13 AM
10 Second Club

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

where are you located? I'm sure someone with approapriate software near your area would be willing to tune out those codes for some beer..
Old 08-04-2011, 03:20 PM
TECH Fanatic

odessa tx. 2 hours from lubbock.
Old 08-04-2011, 03:30 PM
TECH Fanatic

the Air system is not related to the AC.
on your drivers side look for a hose running from the bottom of the drivers side headlight through the side of the drivers side into the back or top of the intake. or a better way will be to look on the drivers side under the headlights to see if you see/have the Air pump.if you dont see the pump then the Air pump/system was removed. you don't need it anyways. all it does is when you first turn on your car it sends some air to the cats. since you dont have cats you dont need it.

as for the lights flickering could be battery, alternator, ground cable, do you have a big sound system? if you do that can be the cause. usually when the base hits it will dim the lights if its a big system (watts)
so since i dont have cats its fine? is this what everyone means by !AIR? and the flickering could be battery ground or alt idk i know its not the system since im driving around listenin to everyone elses radio lol. if i want to put cats back on will i need it? the scanner says the cars running lean. i smell gas and i dont like that. im going to put all o2s on. why do most people tune the back out? would the gassy smell be bcuz no cats or o2s? and will just putting o2s fix that? the car is dropped really low in the front (hopefully just clamps on the springs) so that may be why the speed sensor. but why does the scanner say the right front wheel and online it says the left?

Originally Posted by sweetride98
your front wheel speed sensor is probally the wire that plugs into the hub and goes up the frame to the main engine harness, it is common for that wire to get stuck in the shock mount and get pinched till it breaks, i have had 3 4th gens with that problem. it should only effect ABS and traction control
i have a radio bezel with 2 blank spots on the right. the owner said someone broke in and took the deck and speakers breakin the old bezel. the old one has 2 holes for switches on the right and left sides. i thinking whatever they are they are covered by the new radio bezel.
Old 08-04-2011, 08:30 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by 14k
so since i dont have cats its fine? is this what everyone means by !AIR? that is correct thats what they mean. and the flickering could be battery ground or alt idk i know its not the system since im driving around listenin to everyone elses radio lol. take it to autozone,advance or oreillys to get your battery, alternator tested. if i want to put cats back on will i need it? you might but to be honest im not sure on if you will/wont need them. the scanner says the cars running lean. i smell gas and i dont like that. im going to put all o2s on. why do most people tune the back out? you are running lean due to the front o2 sensors. code 10174 and po171 are for those sensors which is causing the lean problem. get that fix asap. as for why people get the rear deleted that is due to most people not running cats and running ORY pipes so no need for rear o2 sensors since all they do is work with the cats. would the gassy smell be bcuz no cats or o2s? both, if you are running long tube headers and a ory pipe you will smell gassy smells some times. but also since your front o2's seem to be going out that will cause an even stronger smell. and will just putting o2s fix that? yes fixing the 2 front o2 sensors will get rid of the strong gas smell. but might not get rid of it complete if you have LT headers and no cats. the car is dropped really low in the front (hopefully just clamps on the springs) so that may be why the speed sensor. but why does the scanner say the right front wheel and online it says the left? just check both sides make sure hte wires are connected all the way and no crimped. that might help.
just replace the 2 front o2 sensors and you will be good